Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Tipping hay box over

totallynotabird

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is totally the right section to post this in, so please forgive me if not. My fiancé and I have 7 guinea pigs, and we basically give them a whole room of our apartment to run around and play in. They seem really happy with this engagement; even our 2 boars have stopped fighting with all the extra room they have! With so many guinea pigs, we usually buy a huge 60-pound box of hay from Amazon and give them hay as they need it. I was wondering if instead of giving them hay when they need it, if we could just sort of lay the box on its side inside the room so that they can go and get hay whenever they're hungry. It'll also be easier for us to tell when they're running low. My only concern with this is maybe the piggies could run into the hay box and get lost or suffocate in there! Is this a real concern? What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice!!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
While it certainly would be fun to watch, my concern would be that they would soil a large box of hay rather quickly.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree. They love to burrow and sleep in hay, so it will become a toilet at some point.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.