Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Returning after a long break

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Nutter Butter Oct 2020.jpg

After returning to work I have been much too distracted to stop in and post. Management for my company dropped a bombshell on our office that they are moving our operations to a different state and in July 2021 I will have to find other employment. Couple that with other challenges big and small I have not been dropping in here.

With the change in weather everyone is a little off around my house and Nutter Butter seems to be a bit off also. Admittedly I am hyper sensitive about my little guy, but I am keeping a weather eye on him. He was a bit off on water consumption, but was chugging normally this morning. Hopefully after this weather settles he will.

Has anyone else noticed their piggies being throw off by major weather changes?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
As a matter of fact, yes.

Glad to see you and Nutter Butter are doing well, he's such a handsome little guy. I am very sorry to hear about your employment situation. Man, it seems everything is so precarious these days and no one can take anything for granted.

Leo has been losing some weight this past month. Nothing alarming (yet) and this morning for the first time in a week he put a little back on. But I have noticed this.

When the pressure drops and there are thunderstorms on the way (or at least weather than can produce thunderstorms) Leo tends to get somewhat aggressive. Every time threatening weather is in the forecast, Leo is an incessant little bugger and will NOT leave Simon alone. Pooper would also limit his movement in the last 6 months of his life, when the weather wasn't great. I know it was from arthritis, and the last few months his back left leg sort of turned in on itself.

So yes, I've noticed changes in my pigs when the weather changes, and not even so much seasons. I know all about hypersensitivity to pigs! As long as there aren't any drastic sudden weight losses or changes I would just keep my eyes on him.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Weight is steady and the changes were just in the past day and a half. This corresponds with a mild cold front, followed by major high pressure system and summer like temps, and now we have dropped 40 degrees in a few hours with a major change in air pressure. Overall he is just off and hunkering down a bit more in his fleece forests corner. He is steady on hay consumption, little less on pellets, but the real concern was a drop in water intake. It has only been a day though and he was on water pretty good this morning. I wish I was still work at home to keep a better eye on him. For now I'll just have to do my best to monitor him of the morning and evening. I'll post an update should anything change, hopefully it will be an all is well as the funky weather settles.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] Do you have any advice on managing concern for piggies? Unfortunately work has to be in the matrix of priorities and it is difficult enough staying on task as it is, but it becomes really challenging when I have Nutter Butter's health on my mind. I know there is nothing I can do at work and will have to work with things once I get home. About the only thing that gives me a little comfort is I know I am doing the best I can to give Butter everything he needs and keep him healthy and happy. There are times though it takes a lot not to pile in the truck and head home.

I hope it is the weather putting him off. I need him around to celebrate the holidays in piggie fashion with me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For me nothing really gets rid of the anxiety of worrying about my pigs. I guess part of that is having had three in a row with serious health issues and then a fourth with an issue that took 3 months to get rid of.

One thing I did do is buy an IP camera off of amazon. It allows me to look in on my pigs at any time of day or night, and if there's a problem I can alert someone to it if I can't be there, which is quite often. Just being able to see them when I'm not at home seems to help me enough to get through a day.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
For me nothing really gets rid of the anxiety of worrying about my pigs. I guess part of that is having had three in a row with serious health issues and then a fourth with an issue that took 3 months to get rid of.

One thing I did do is buy an IP camera off of amazon. It allows me to look in on my pigs at any time of day or night, and if there's a problem I can alert someone to it if I can't be there, which is quite often. Just being able to see them when I'm not at home seems to help me enough to get through a day.

I am glad I am not the only one that struggles with it. My wife is off most Mondays and my son has some random days off school coming up so that will help keep and eye on Butter. I have some vacation to burn also. Hopefully Butter is just in a funk with the weather. Fingers crossed.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@HunterRose13, look into something like this:

(broken link removed)

I have two of something similar, one at each end of their cage.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I will cautiously say Mr. Nutter Butter is feeling better since the weather has stabilized. He was just a bit off and I am glad he settled down.

If we don't end up work from home again in the next couple of weeks I may set up a piggie cam. It is about even money that someone will be working or schooling from home soon.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, my wife is home day in and day out. She's always home. That just isn't good enough for me. :)

coplema

Cavy Gazer
Glad to see you and Nutter Butter are doing well, he's such a handsome little guy(broken link removed) I am very sorry to hear about your employment situation.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear an update on Nutter Butter. Mine is also affected by the weather. Since it got cooler and the humidity is no longer at the level it was this summer, she started drinking more water. At first I was worried but she’s maintaining her weight and has a good appetite and output so I can only think it’s the dryer air.

I’m sorry about your job. Three of my last 4 jobs ended due to companies moving or closing. Hopefully you will have the benefit of a displaced worker program through a Workforce Center. They do a great job helping with job searches, and depending on your state resources, you may be partially compensated if you have to take a pay cut. I actually ended up with better jobs and a couple of severance packages, but that first lay-off was pretty emotional for me. I hope it all works out for you in the job market and with little Nutter Butter.

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
I am back up for air after holiday. It was as many have experienced, different from a 'normal' holiday season. Lots of our traditional stuff was canceled so we planned a family vacation which was wonderful. Now that we are starting the second month of the new year I am getting back in a groove for a few months prior to looking for new gainful employment.

Nutter Butter is doing well, but did mange to scratch his chin somehow and had a nasty little scab. He is eating, drinking, and pooping as usual and other than me fretting over him he seems none the worse for wear. He does come over for head scratches on the regular now and I spend most evenings on the end of the couch visiting with him.

I hope everyone is off to a good start to the year.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
My Rosie has been losing some weight lately come to think of it...

HunterRose13

Cavy Slave
Last night I got help from my wife to give Nutter Butter's chin a good cleaning with a warm, damp cloth which he did not like at all. He had a small scratch which is now cleaned up and looks much better, but had other stuff in his chin fur. After cleaning his chin and dewlap fur it was determined he needs a full bath this weekend. He has some pretty good boar stink and his chin/dewlap needs a really good cleaning even after the damp cloth last night.

Shairamatt

Cavy Gazer
first ingrediant is corn meal and not meat. the first ingediant should be meat, At least that is what my vet told me.
https://petadvices.com/
Pet Advices is the online authority to offer you all the things associated with pet care, health, diet, etc under a single platform.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.