Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Looking for bulk litter for guinea pigs

Eedit

Cavy Slave
So I'm currently using the litter for ferret (I had ferret) to fill my guinea pigs litter boxes and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on guinea pig safe litter that I can buy in bulk? I have seven female guinea pigs and I go through A LOT of litter. But I want something that will also keep the smell down. Any information would be great. Thanks

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like wood pellets may be a good choice for you. I personally have no experience with them so I can't give you firsthand tips, but if you use the search function at the top of the page for "wood pellets" a LOT of threads come up with information from other users about them.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
If you elect not to try the wood pellet solution suggested by @Guinea Pig Papa, I use the Petco "So Phresh Small Animal Crumbled Paper" litter and really like it. It is superb at controlling odor and is reasonably priced. They also have it in a pellet form.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wood pellets. Hands down the cheapest, and best for odor control.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I really like Carefresh and Critter Care, very absorbent and great for smell! It's a lot thicker than most paper bedding, less dusty and without baking soda. It's more expensive than some bulk litters, but you can print coupons for it off the Carefresh website.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
You can buy giant bags of wood shavings for horses. As long as you know the ingredients it should be good at keeping the smell down.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets hands down, fleece on top, it lasts months without odor

guineapig_ampva

Cavy Gazer
I used Critter Care for my guinea pigs since the beginning. :) No worries about the odor. :)

Regards!
Christine

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.