Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the Forums, Not New to Guineas, and Working on a Guinea Pig Guide

flamelish

Cavy Slave
Hey there guinea lovers!

Nearly a year ago, I purchased my guinea pig Rooster (aka Roo). At the time, I did not expect how much of a change he would make in my daily life. This was not the first time I have had a guinea pig either, having had two as a young teen. Before picking up my new boy however, I decided to do some touching up on guinea pig care as with my older age I have made great strides to improve my understanding of the care needed for the animals I keep and learned that guinea pig care has evolved greatly over the years.

Since bringing Roo home, I have adopted three other boys, Fizgig, Tatter (Roo's housemate), and Mallo. I have found that caring for them has helped me learn how to live with my depression, with their happiness and health motivating me to be the best I can be. In an effort to do my best for them, I have dove deep into learning as much as I can about guinea pig care. So much so that I have realized how much of a bomb field it can be with conflicting, out of date, and even dangerous information out there.

Hence why I have made an account here. I am working on a comprehensive guinea pig guide covering a range of information that goes into caring for guinea pigs.
I am hoping to be able to reach out to the guinea pig community to collect some information for sections of the guide, as well as potentially having people help review the guide as it is being developed. I intend to have this care guide be a free pdf that I will update yearly if necessary in the hopes that it improves the lives of guinea pigs around the world (I may have an option to be able to donate money however, but earning money is not the goal of the guide).

What do you think of this? Do you think it is great to create a overall care guide or do you think there is enough information accessible online that it is un-needed. Do you want to help review the guide and have input on the information I put? Let me know your thoughts! :>

- flamelish

flamelish

Cavy Slave
Yeah I am aware that there are several really fantastic guinea pig care sources out there. I am actually referring to sites like these to put together the guide I am working on.

My hope is to be able to create an easy to reference booklet of beginning information on guinea pigs that is all in one source and easy to navigate or refer to regularly that will hopefully help people who have never had a guinea pig before or are looking to improve their care or knowledge on guinea pigs. While sites like Guinealynx are fantastic sources for information they can be daunting for a starting owner and challenging to navigate when finding specific information.

Currently I am working to have information on types of guinea pigs and the care specialized types may need, cage sizes, bedding/liners, what and how much guinea pigs should eat, the types of hays and hay storage, information on pellets, the types of vegetables and fruits they can have and how often, information on general guinea pig health and types of common sicknesses (and what to look for), and then places that people can look for extended information.

The hope is to give this information to help inform easily when research can be a daunting task for some, especially those with depression, anxiety, attention disorders, ext. or just those that may struggle looking for information on websites as they do not know what exactly they are looking for.

Sorry about the late reply btw, was trying to decide how to respond ^^"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.