0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Ca:P Ratio Confusion

Hello,
    So I've been doing some research regarding the Ca:P ratio or Calcium:Phosphorus Ratio and I'm seeing some conflicting info from two different sources. At first I was using the GuineaLynx calculator but then my sister showed me this chart from Ly&Pigs which isn't a calculator but shows the Ca:P ratio a long with the Oxalic Content (it also has red and green leaf lettuce which wasn't on the GuineaLynx calc or charts). So the issue is the romaine lettuce (both measured per 100mg), the GuineaLynx says for romaine the ratio is 0.8:1 while the Ly's chart says 1.1:1. Since I was confused I went on this nutrition website about romaine (per 100mg as well) and the calcium content is 33mg and phosphorous is 30mg and is I got a 1.1:1 so I'm leaning towards using the Ly data but the GuineaLynx calc saves me so much time. Does anyone know of another calculator for finding the ratio or prefer a specific one? Thanks

Mentioned
    2118 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4086 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,527 Rec'd/6,014 Posts

Re: Ca:P Ratio Confusion

Most of us don't pay any attention to it.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Okay so just to be sure, the Ca:P ratio isn't that important? I'm just not sure how serious I should take this. Thanks!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    137 Rec'd/131 Posts

Actually, I just avoid Romaine because it causes some pigs to have issues with stones. Mine doesn’t have any history with stones, but red and green lettuce is available so I just feed that. I use the GuineaLynx veggie chart and stick to the veggies that are approximately 1:1, like carrot, green pepper, cucumber and leaf lettuce. Once in a while I feed a dandelion leaf, and I also pick grass and give strips of frozen corn husks for treats.

The bigger concern I have is feeding too much fresh food and causing bloat. I give small amounts of veggies throughout the day so she doesn’t stuff herself at one sitting.

5. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Okay that makes sense, I don't give romaine too often but didn't know that it could lead to stone issues, thanks for the info regarding the GuineaLynx, Romaine was the only one that seemed off anyways otherwise it's a good chart. I haven't tried corn husks as treats, I'll have to try one day, thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    574 Rec'd/443 Posts

No romaine for my pigs. Not willing to risk my pigs could fall into that category.

User Tag List