Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage DO NOT buy these cages!

• Thread starter TheGuineaPigGal
  • Start date

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Hello I wanted to start a thread about bad/inappropriate cages for guinea pigs I will start off with a bad cage I found for sale. Feel free to add other bad cages you find to this thread. let this be awareness for proper cage sizes.

2814315-center-1
Kaytee critter-home ¨large¨

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Moving on, here is a cage I found TODAY.
2130440-center-1
This seriously disgusts me.

LordOfThePigs

Cavy Slave
My rescue pigs came in a cage very similar to that starter kit and can I say I am NOT impressed.
36a8877254e0a0b25b69232dcd1b9502.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Domies the pigs

Cavy Slave
kandang_hewan_kucing_kelinci_sg_burung_marmut_1522261982_406acff9.jpg

The first thing that came out when I search guinea pig cage in my language

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
These cages are useful in emergency situations to transport your guinea pig to the vet or in an evacuation. They are not large enough for an every-day habitat, even if the guinea pig gets out for exercise each day. I use a large pet shop cage overnight for my guinea pig. In case of emergency, I don’t want to be struggling to catch a scared pig while the home alarm is blasting.

There are cage guidelines on this site - here is a link:

https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/about-candccages

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Yes, I understand for emergency situations, but to think some people keep guinea pigs all the time just horrifies me...

Domies the pigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, my friends had one guinea pig and only feeds him pellets and I tried my best to tell her that guinea pig needs large homes and things like tha. She likes to put it in her bath tub because it is fun to watch her swim. I told her and send how to care videos, but she said its a starter animal and she is going to get a dog anways:sad:. I feel sorry for the guinea pig.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Pigs don´t like to swim. I consider making them swim animal abuse. D:

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I agree and I saw Kaytee released open space habitats "for guinea pigs and rabbits". They look a little bit like the Midwest cage. They are "8 square feet or 12" They are over a hundred dollars! Close to 200 in some places. In unboxing videos they look like they will fall soon. They can connect with the same cage type. Almost or over 300 dollars for about to fall apart, topless cages by a trashy brand. People can get a 2x6 from the CageTopia store with a stand for two of those cages. What would you get?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I payed 30 USD for 60 grids.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
You could build a piggie paradise with those instead of buying a store bought cage. Future readers remember c and c cages are better than store bought ones and you can even get some from the CageTopia Store.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
That's like stuffing your guinea pig(s) in a tiny box! I can understand for traveling, but still! Ugh.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I agree pet store cages are overrated, overpriced litter boxes that are smaller than a cat’s (These are the small and big cat litter boxes). Making a guinea pig live in one of these cages is almost animal abuse!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
When I was a dumb pig owner, I kept Mister Smores in this and I feel so guilty.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
To note:

Look how miserable the pig in the cage looks.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
Yeah it is not completely your fault. Pet store people highly recommend those over rated litter boxes so you were probably confused.

Rosiethecutepig

Cavy Slave
People buy these cages and others because they are glittery and ''cute''. It's goes the same for hamster cages, rabbit cages, gerbil cages etc. just because they are all sparkly and appealing to the eye.
EDIT: Most of the people who have these cages are little kids who don't know any better. That's how pet stores advertise.:sad:

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I know right. It looks like toys more than something you would put an animal in. Especially those poor hamsters and those rabbits. They get it the worst. Someone should out law those cages!

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Pet store people highly recommend those over rated litter boxes

Not every employee is terrible. The pet store I work in (along with many employees I see online in pet store groups) has many compassionate, caring people who understand many of the cages they sell aren't suitable. When I didn't know anything about guinea pigs and wanted to impulse buy them after I started them last July, I was told to get the biggest rabbit set up or bigger, use fleece, and get a friend. Of course I also researched compulsively for days and taught myself what was best. Pet stores sell the stuff, but the employees aren't the bad guys. They want people to get the right set ups and they want to sell animals to people who care. Sometimes a sale can be denied, sometimes there is nothing they can do. That's just out of their control. It isn't like the employees willingly WANT to sell these cages.

GuineaPigQueen1

Cavy Slave
I wasn’t saying and I don’t think that the pet store employees are bad guys I think they try their best, but I have only worked with getting my piggies with two employees ( I know a mistake ). The lady was nice and she told us about the Oxbow food and told us tons of hay. The second guy I got Lulu from he picked them up wrong (I was looking at other guinea pigs) and didn’t seem to know about them a lot. When I was finding Princess a new friend at the beginning of April 2020 early pandemic ( The friend was Lulu, Princess’ companion died from pneumonia it was too late) guinea pigs weren’t for sale that much. I called all the pet stores in my area THREE times to find Lulu ( I wanted to rescue my parents said no at the time) the employees at some were rude and when I said any female guinea pigs they rudely said “We have no guinea pigs and this is a all male store BYE”. But this was some a lot of them were kind. Thank you making me realize what I type about pet store employees.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.