Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bringing guinea pig home?????"

CavyOwner

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to convince my mom to let me bring home a class guinea pig for a few months for a science project we're doing but I want to make sure that I have a plan to make it work. My project is going to be an experiment on how cage sizes affect guinea pig health and behavior because the cage that this guinea pig is in is way to small for her. I have two guinea pigs at home that I am also going to be doing the experiment with, and that's where things get a little more complicated. My two pigs are settled in, and I don't want to make a massive change other than cage size that could impact their behavior, so I'm trying to figure out if I would have enough time to let the guinea pigs get settled with each other, and for the new one to me comfortable in this house since we have cats that might make her a little uncomfortable at first.

So I guess I have two questions.

1) Would it be stupid to bring a class guinea pig into my house when I have two cats that enjoy hunting?
My cages are sturdy enough for my pretty fat cat to sleep on, so I don't think they'll break. The main concern my mom has is probably that if I accidently leave the cage open one time the cats could get the guinea pig, and she isn't my pet. I have had my guinea pigs for over a year and have kept them safe so far, but she doesn't want to take any chances with someone else's pet. If you have any recommendations for making sure that the guinea pig would be safe and convincing my mom of that it would be very appreciated.

2) Would a month be enough time for the guinea pigs to get comfortable with the house and each other?
My two are comfortable with the cats and me and the house, but it would all be new to Willow (except me, we have a pretty close bond because I spent a lot of time with her when she got pregnant a little over a year ago). I know there isn't like an exact time and that it will vary depending on the guinea pig but I'm just looking for an estimate. They would have to be completely settled before I was able to do the experiment, or else it would be pointless so it's important that I have enough time for this.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I really miss this guinea pig, and would be really happy to get to bring her home for a few months so that I can see her, make sure she's being cared for properly, and give her a bigger cage at the end of the experiment.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you have cats, or kittens? Kittens are pretty determined to play with the guinea pigs, who of course aren't at all interested. But guinea pigs are pretty big to be prey for cats. My cat's favorite place to nap was in the cage with the guinea pigs.

However, you have to know your own animals and whether it would be safe for them to mix.

Closet shelving makes a very good lid for cages. And I'd think if you haven't had a cat get a guinea pig in more than a year, one more pig should be just as safe.

CavyOwner

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks. How long would I likely have to give my guinea pigs to adjust if I did bring home a third guinea pig?

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.