Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Guinea pig keeps biting pigloo at night

My guinea pig, Coco, started biting and moving her plastic house (the pigloo) before I go to bed. She literally movies everything in her cage around for some reason and her biting the pigloo drives me crazy. Shes in a 3x2 cage, she has chewing sticks that shes not interested in, so it makes me think she either likes the sound of her biting her pigloo, it could of maybe been she was hot?? (I provided her with a frozen water bottle wrapped in a towel because it was pretty hot this weekend) or maybe shes doing it for attention? So I guess my question is, why would a guinea pig want to move everything in her cage around at night and why is she biting her house?

(Im writing this at 3 am, so sorry for any errors or if it doesnt completely make sense. I will make sure to clarify anything in the morning. She is not biting right now. She stopped when I went to bed, but even the thought made me want to ask about this.)

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3990 Post(s)

Re: Guinea pig keeps biting pigloo at night

My pigs worked for Atlas Van Lines, and all were champion cage-furniture movers. They do it because that's what guinea pigs do.

All I can suggest is that you put the cage in another room, or get some silicone ear plugs.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    758 Rec'd/578 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

All but one of my pigs have also loved to move their furniture. Leo really doesn't care at all, but all the others loved it. All of them figured out how to have a little privacy. They would go in a pigloo, and spin it so that the door faced a wall. I always laughed and said they'd "closed the door and gone to bed".

Simon doesnt chew his pigloo at all, but again every other boy I've ever had has liked to at least "taste" them. It got to the point where Pooper just HAD to sample the taste of his pigloo before he would go into it. Later on, Punkin developed that exact same trait. I had to buy Staybowls because Punkin would physically lift a heavy ceramic bowl in his teeth and dump out his pellets.

5. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,624 Rec'd/1,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1192 Post(s)

What else do they have to do all day besides sleep? What else is there to do for excitement besides chase your brother, run zoomies, and wait for dinner?

I finally figured out how to thwart the little buggers. I bought some flat weights and hot glued them on the litter pans and the hideys.......no more moving them across the cage. They sometimes move their tunnel around because it is simply a bent grid covered with a jumbo book cover and very light.

When Rafi goes to bed at night, he goes into his hidey and turns his butt outward facing. I say that Rafi has gone to bed and put out his "do not disturb" sign. He is serious about it. I saw Rascal go over and poke his head in.....and promptly get snapped at.

I too have metal bowls that they can't pick up with their teeth nor slide them across the fleece. Say, can we adult humans outsmart a two pound guinea pig? Where else but on this forum would other rational humans find this amusing?

7. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    94 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

Mine loves to move her hideys in straight lines one in front of the other or parallel so she can run through them to escape any predators. It’s good to have 2 openings because they sometimes get wedged in a corner and have trouble getting out.

As far as food dishes, I just bought a thrift store coffee cup that is the shorter old-fashioned style. I hang it by the handle from the side of the cage. It hangs at an angle so she can reach in and not tip it over or use it for a toilet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064BD912-23F7-41BB-9187-52BD10CA6D5C.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	87332

9. "Thank you, ItsaZoo, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    My pigs worked for Atlas Van Lines, and all were champion cage-furniture movers. They do it because that's what guinea pigs do.

All I can suggest is that you put the cage in another room, or get some silicone ear plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    All but one of my pigs have also loved to move their furniture. Leo really doesn't care at all, but all the others loved it. All of them figured out how to have a little privacy. They would go in a pigloo, and spin it so that the door faced a wall. I always laughed and said they'd "closed the door and gone to bed".

Simon doesnt chew his pigloo at all, but again every other boy I've ever had has liked to at least "taste" them. It got to the point where Pooper just HAD to sample the taste of his pigloo before he would go into it. Later on, Punkin developed that exact same trait. I had to buy Staybowls because Punkin would physically lift a heavy ceramic bowl in his teeth and dump out his pellets.
    I put 2 rocks on top of the house for now (I made sure they're safe to be there)... I'm planning on getting a wooden house soon, since it will look much better and hopefully she won't be able to move it haha. Are wooden houses okay for guinea pigs? Any recommendations on guinea houses?
    The cage is in the living room and I noticed that she only bites the house when she wants attention . It's not a big problem, like I thought it was when I was writing this (at 3 am )

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    What else do they have to do all day besides sleep? What else is there to do for excitement besides chase your brother, run zoomies, and wait for dinner?

I finally figured out how to thwart the little buggers. I bought some flat weights and hot glued them on the litter pans and the hideys.......no more moving them across the cage. They sometimes move their tunnel around because it is simply a bent grid covered with a jumbo book cover and very light.

When Rafi goes to bed at night, he goes into his hidey and turns his butt outward facing. I say that Rafi has gone to bed and put out his "do not disturb" sign. He is serious about it. I saw Rascal go over and poke his head in.....and promptly get snapped at.

I too have metal bowls that they can't pick up with their teeth nor slide them across the fleece. Say, can we adult humans outsmart a two pound guinea pig? Where else but on this forum would other rational humans find this amusing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Mine loves to move her hideys in straight lines one in front of the other or parallel so she can run through them to escape any predators. It’s good to have 2 openings because they sometimes get wedged in a corner and have trouble getting out.

As far as food dishes, I just bought a thrift store coffee cup that is the shorter old-fashioned style. I hang it by the handle from the side of the cage. It hangs at an angle so she can reach in and not tip it over or use it for a toilet.

I used double sided tape to prevent her from moving her bowls too . She tries to move everything in her cage except for the toys that I bought for her to specifically move around .

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3990 Post(s)

Be careful with tape in a guinea pig cage. They LOVE the stuff, and it can kill one pretty quickly by causing a GI tract obstruction.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Be careful with tape in a guinea pig cage. They LOVE the stuff, and it can kill one pretty quickly by causing a GI tract obstruction.
    It's on the bottom of the bowls. There is no way she will be able to reach it. I only used a small piece to make it stay in place. Even I had trouble taking it off when I had to move the bowl

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZoo View Post
    Mine loves to move her hideys in straight lines one in front of the other or parallel so she can run through them to escape any predators. Its good to have 2 openings because they sometimes get wedged in a corner and have trouble getting out.

I also have some problems with the pellet bowl. My pigs keep pooping in it and stale their pellets. My 2 month old pup Cocoa tips it over all the time! Its a small ceramic bowl. Do you have any suggestions?

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I use this bowl, and my pigs cant tip it over.

https://www.chewy.com/jw-pet-skid-st...BoChawQAvD_BwE

15. "Thank you, TheGuineaPigGal, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List