Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What to do about newly solitary cavy

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I haven't been on this forum in awhile but I was wondering if I could have some advice.

One of my guinea pigs in a pair, Oreo recently passed away. What should I do to keep now my only guinea pig Peanut Butter happy and healthy?

Is there anything I should change about my routine to help him adjust?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, Oreo! :love:

Consider that cavies really don't grieve as we humans do.....they just know that their buddy is gone. My decision would be for the best interest of Peanut Butter, not whether you feel it's too soon to get another cavy. And, it would depend on Peanut Butter's age.

If you don't plan to continue with having piggies for pets, then I would just lavish attention on PB and keep him from getting too lonely, especially if he is older. You might consider adopting another piggy about his age, or try to find a spayed female. Only you know his personality and needs so the decision for you is to try to fulfill that.

If you decide to find him a companion, then I would contact a rescue that will permit a "meet and greet" to allow PB to pick out his own new roommate. That won't guarantee compatibility, but is would be a good start. I'm sure that others will come by with their own thoughts.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I’m sorry you lost Oreo, my condolences.

I agree with Spy9doc about giving extra attention to Peanut Butter. Make sure he’s active and eating well. I would also look for things to keep him busy, like rearranging the cage so he has to explore. And try some toys that you can put treats in so he has to roll them around to get them out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.