Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi I’m new and I have some worries about my New Guinea pig

Gusgus101

Cavy Gazer
Ok so I recently got another guinea pig and he is different from the other one. Both are young guinea pigs, I got them both from petco. My other guinea pig is an American guinea pig he is healthy got him September 8. This one has like scruffy hair like an Abyssinian guinea pig. Got him today,his front nails are clear and his back nails are black. The front of his head is black like the skin and his side is has black. There parts of him that is like my other guinea pig (light pink). His poop are small and not to soft just the right amount. He seems fine he doesn’t itch. He doesn’t really get mad when we pet him. He’s kinda skinny so I put pellets, lots of hay, water(with vitamin c drops he still drinks it) and some veggies ( slice of tomato I took out the little seeds, kale, green bell pepper, and some romaine lettuce). Maybe I’m over reacting but I’m still a bit worried. I checked the parts that were black and there was nothing I could see. He’s quiet and moves around fine. Is any of this normal?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's all normal. But you should keep a close eye on him, because pet store pigs are often sold when they are ill.

You should also immediately turn them over and compare their private parts, because pet stores are notorious for getting the sex wrong. And you definitely don't want to breed guinea pigs -- they're susceptible to a number of painful, even fatal, genetic conditions. If they don't look alike, separate them immediately.

Also, don't put vitamin C drops in the water. It degrades very quickly in water in the presence of light, and you've soon got nothing but funny tasting water, and you're wasting your money, besides.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Gusgus101

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the input. Yes we have confirmed it’s a male. We actually had another one before him and it was a female. So we actually returned it. I’ll stop using the the drops as well

JaneDoe

Cavy Slave
Welcome, Gusgus101!

Do you have a vet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.