Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Hay too old?

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have hay from 2019 cutting (I think)from sps that I bought from a local store here back in Jan when they were closing shop. It looks fine, pigs are eating it. It's drier than I've seen. And for some odd reason I'm getting red rash and some discomfort from handling it. It just started a week ago. Hands and arms red and kind of tingly.

I've always used orchard grass from sps so I'm wondering if this crunchy type hay is old and should be replaced? The smell is stronger too.I hope I don't all of the sudden have allergies after years. I love grass hays because my girls love long strands. Bluegrass at kms isn't good quality as I just got 5 lbs. Help? Tia

Artista

Cavy Slave
Felt it again. It's prickly. Kinda hurts. I haven't seen it like this before...I'm thinking very old hay from this shop who was selling everything at discounts for closing for good. Anyone else experience this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hay maintains nearly all of its nutritional value for two years, then slowly declines thereafter.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I think I know why my arms and hands get red and kinda hurt. I'm thinking there is a weed or poison ivy/oak mixed in that batch. I've never had such misery. So either am going to wear gloves or toss it. I ordered the sps hay sampler of the 4 or 5 hays. I don't know if oat hay is good for gps like other hays. I know Mooshy didn't like it.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
My piggies love oat hay and I feed it to them at least twice a week or so as an alternative option. Their day-to-day hay is orchard and for diversity, I put in a separate container one of these hays: oat, meadow, botanical. I wish I can find larger bags of meadow and botanical hays. They are the Oxbow 15 ounce bags and quite pricey but I like giving the girls a variety of hays. Sorry to hear that KMS bluegrass is not good quality as I had planned to buy that after the current box of orchard.

Artista

Cavy Slave
My piggies love oat hay and I feed it to them at least twice a week or so as an alternative option. Their day-to-day hay is orchard and for diversity, I put in a separate container one of these hays: oat, meadow, botanical. I wish I can find larger bags of meadow and botanical hays. They are the Oxbow 15 ounce bags and quite pricey but I like giving the girls a variety of hays. Sorry to hear that KMS bluegrass is not good quality as I had planned to buy that after the current box of orchard.

It very well could be I'm picky. Lots of folks love bluegrass. My particular 2 lb sample seemed to have too many browns. You could always get the sample or 2 lb to see.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I don't know where your bluegrass hay information is coming from, but I just recently bought a 45# box and the hay is terrific! Look on the KMS site and you will see a review that I wrote......something like "my boys are mad for bluegrass".

Artista

Cavy Slave
I don't know where your bluegrass hay information is coming from, but I just recently bought a 45# box and the hay is terrific! Look on the KMS site and you will see a review that I wrote......something like "my boys are mad for bluegrass".

It came from my buying 2 lbs.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
I've bought hay before that turned out to be trash. It was also very rough/crunchy and extremely dusty. It caused me to start itching and breaking out and my sinuses to start closing up almost immediately when I opened the bag and put my hand in. I have seasonal allergies and a mild hay allergy, but usually I just take allegra and flonase regularly and it doesn't even bother me. I had to go wash my arms and face and grab some benadryl after I messed with this bag. I don't think it has anything to do with the hay being old, just with it being crap hay. :p

Artista

Cavy Slave
I've bought hay before that turned out to be trash. It was also very rough/crunchy and extremely dusty. It caused me to start itching and breaking out and my sinuses to start closing up almost immediately when I opened the bag and put my hand in. I have seasonal allergies and a mild hay allergy, but usually I just take allegra and flonase regularly and it doesn't even bother me. I had to go wash my arms and face and grab some benadryl after I messed with this bag. I don't think it has anything to do with the hay being old, just with it being crap hay. :p

I think there is something to old hay. The crunch gave off something that got into my skin and set off the rash and burning. I tossed it and ordered a new box.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.