Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Unusual white spots in eye, vet doesn't know what they are.

cavymadness101

Cavy Gazer
IMG_20200919_084305.jpgIMG_20200919_084313.jpg

Hello. My guinea pig Sparkles is six and a half years old and has started developing these white spots in his eye. They are more like pigment changes rather then a growth. I'm familiar with most common eye conditions and injuries in guinea pigs but I've never come across this before and the vet had never seen this before either. Since they clearly aren't bothering him I've been told to just keep a watch on them for now, but she warned me that this could possibly be cancer.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Or have any idea what it could be?

cavymadness101

Cavy Gazer
Whew! That's great news! I'll send that information to the vet I saw :D

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, ditto [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. My little man Sly had this. Started when he was roughly four and progressed from there to the point where most of the coloured part of his eye was covered. It DID seem to affect his eyesight at that point but he was almost 7 when we lost him. The vet assured us that it didn't hurt him. I'm pretty sure my boy Scooter had the beginnings of this as well.

I would definitely think about looking for a new vet. This is very common in guinea pigs.

cavymadness101

Cavy Gazer
Do you see the same vet every time? I just get assigned whichever vet is available at that time and there is a high turnover of vets in the clinic so I rarely see the same vet twice.

cavymadness101

Cavy Gazer
By the way, most of the vets that I see are very good and give good advice. I double check everything and am always aware that sometimes they do get it wrong.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should find a clinic with a dedicated exotic vet. Being a small animal vet does not qualify them to treat guinea pigs, and traditional methods for other animals can be dangerous and even fatal for pigs. My clinic has ONE exotic vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.