Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Normal, sick, or recovering??

Vvlrie

Cavy Slave
948042DE-2783-47D5-A2C4-812E8199C2E1.jpgOn August 13, I took my sow named Zero to the vet. I took her to the vet because I noticed an increase of water intake, she had dried fur stuck on her around her butt, and she had pooped out a mucus substance. The fur stuck her butt can be pulled off from her in clumps. The vet told me she had a digestive infection explaining her drinking a lot of water and the fur stuck on her butt. They said she was trying to expel the infection through drinking water and the discharge as she tries to wipe it off. They gave me medication to give for 2 weeks and twice a day. I did exactly that and her medication stop on August 27. Yesterday, I found a gel-like/mucus on the fleece where she usually drags her butt. Today, I found a poop that looks overall healthy except that there was a mucus on it too. I’m wondering if she is still sick, or if she’s still recovering, or if it normal (it being mucus plug)???

Also, medication given to me was Bactrim and I still have some left over that expires in later January.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is your pig?

Bactrim is not very effective against GI tract infections. It's more commonly used for urinary tract infections, or for upper respiratory infections in young pups who shouldn't take Baytril unless absolutely necessary.

Was this an exotic vet you saw?

Vvlrie

Cavy Slave
She is 2 years old. I have two sows and the other seems healthy. No similar signs. Yes it was an exotic vet that I saw. I showed pictures of the First mucus substance I had found before.

Vvlrie

Cavy Slave
The vet told me it was a bacterial infection in her intestines, possibly from bacteria on hay or along those lines.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just wondered about the vet because it's very unusual to give Bactrim to an adult pig for a GI infection.

I'd want them to try something else, either Baytril or Flagyl. Baytril can cause some problems of its own, so check back here if you do use it, and we'll give you some tips for managing it.

Vvlrie

Cavy Slave
Awesome! I’m going to keep track of her and contact the vet if her symptoms continue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.