Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

  1. #21
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    193
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    You'd do better to substitute red or green leaf lettuce for the celery and parsley. They're both high in calcium, and the young guinea pig food should have all she needs.

    You can check the pelvic bones if you want, but don't be obsessive about it. Some owners will feel two or three times a day, and that just bothers the pig. It's not a guarantee of when the pups will come anyway. Some sows will be quite dilated for a few days before they go into labor, other not much at all and will go into labor quickly.

    If she's in the cage with another sow, that should be fine as long as they won't be crowded after the pups come. Most sows make great aunties, and will help raise the pigs. However, do keep an eye on them, just in case you've got the one-in-a-thousand sow that hates pups and will chew their ears.

  2. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  3. #22
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    41
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    I agree with @bpatters.I couldn’t feel anything before my sow gave birth,and whenever I tried to feel it,she was very distressed.

    Make sure your cage is large enough for all of them,or mom can be stressed and nibble the pup’s ears.She MAY eat the placenta and bedding that has blood on to clear up evidence of her birth.The litter size is 1-8 pups, 2-4 usually. Pups are like mini versions of their mom; they’re born with fur,eyes open and can eat on their own. It’s OK if she doesn’t want to nurse them yet - it may take some time for her to lactate. Pups can be sexed at birth, but sometimes it can be difficult to determine their sex. Pups become sexually mature at 3 weeks old, that’s when you separate males from their mom amd sisters. Feed them all like @bpatters said. Good luck!

  4. "Thank you, peanny77, for this useful post," says:


  5. #23
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    @bpatters @peanny77
    She has the cage all to herself. I currently don’t have any other guinea pigs. I was planning on adopting another, but I realized Coco might be pregnant.
    I’ll also get the red and green lettuce today.
    I don’t really know how to check the pelvic bones, but I don’t think they are separating yet.
    I think that the cage is big enough. It’s a 3x2 C&C cage. I have extra supplies for it, so I can make it bigger.
    Ty for all the info!

    I also received a message from the person I got her from. She said that she rescued Coco’s mom and there is no way Coco was older than 2 months when I got her. She also said she thought she separated the males and females soon enough.

  6. #24
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    193
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    A 3x2 will be ok while the pups are still very small. But keep an eye on their ears -- those are usually the first things that get attacked if the sow is feeling crowded. However, if you keep any of the pups, you'll need to expand.

    So you didn't read that thread I gave you that had a link on how to check the pelvic bones?

  7. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  8. #25
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    A 3x2 will be ok while the pups are still very small. But keep an eye on their ears -- those are usually the first things that get attacked if the sow is feeling crowded. However, if you keep any of the pups, you'll need to expand.

    So you didn't read that thread I gave you that had a link on how to check the pelvic bones?
    I did, but I couldn't quite feel the pelvic bones.
    Also, I don't always feel the pups. I can only usually feel them or see them moving when Coco is laying down. I just wanted to double check if that is normal?

  9. #26
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by julifhy View Post
    I did, but I couldn't quite feel the pelvic bones.
    Also, I don't always feel the pups. I can only usually feel them or see them moving when Coco is laying down. I just wanted to double check if that is normal?
    Edit: I’ve found the pelvic bones and they don’t seem to be separating.

  10. #27
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You'd do better to substitute red or green leaf lettuce for the celery and parsley. They're both high in calcium, and the young guinea pig food should have all she needs.
    Will romaine lettuce be okay? Also, I'm curious why would I need to substitute the lettuce for celery and parsley? Can't I feed both?

  11. #28
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    193
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Celery and parsley, especially parsley, are very high in calcium. Too much calcium can contribute to bladder stones, which are painful for your pig AND your pocketbook. Pregnant pigs do need extra calcium, but with the alfalfa pellets, you don't need to add much more at all.

    I don't recommend romaine, even though it's not significantly higher in calcium than other lettuces. Some pigs, but not all, excrete excess urinary calcium when they're eating romaine. Same thing with cilantro. Other pigs are not bothered. I just don't think it's worth running the risk of bladder stones when other lettuces are available and don't cause the same problems.

  12. #29
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Celery and parsley, especially parsley, are very high in calcium. Too much calcium can contribute to bladder stones, which are painful for your pig AND your pocketbook. Pregnant pigs do need extra calcium, but with the alfalfa pellets, you don't need to add much more at all.

    I don't recommend romaine, even though it's not significantly higher in calcium than other lettuces. Some pigs, but not all, excrete excess urinary calcium when they're eating romaine. Same thing with cilantro. Other pigs are not bothered. I just don't think it's worth running the risk of bladder stones when other lettuces are available and don't cause the same problems.
    Aghh romaine lettuce was all they had. What exactly do you recommend I feed her and how much/how often should I feed her? I’m realizing now that I don’t know much about what a guinea pig’s diet should be it’s confusing

  13. #30
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    193
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    There's a ton of information here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...nea-pig-owners

  14. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  15. #31
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    41
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    I think this thread should be renamed, as you have confirmed that Coco’s pregnant.

  16. "Thank you, peanny77, for this useful post," says:


  17. #32
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    41
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I don't recommend romaine, even though it's not significantly higher in calcium than other lettuces. Some pigs, but not all, excrete excess urinary calcium when they're eating romaine. Same thing with cilantro. Other pigs are not bothered. I just don't think it's worth running the risk of bladder stones when other lettuces are available and don't cause the same problems.
    I never knew that! I read some info on other sites and most of them say the best lettuce you can give them is romaine. I use green leaf though, itís easier to find and is cheaper.

  18. #33
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Thanks! I’ll look into that

    I’ve got one last question. Since Coco’s previous owner said she can’t be over 2 months old, should I take her to the vet? I read that there could be complications and she could possibly not make it

  19. #34
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    193
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    You can if you want. The biggest problem will be if she has one large pup that blocks the birth canal and can't be delivered. Any attempt to save her in that situation would require a exotic vet experienced in surgery -- it's a tough operation, and the prognosis is poor.

    If she has normal-sized pups, she'll likely be OK. An x-ray would tell you the size of the pups, and how many there are.

  20. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  21. #35
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Coco gave birth earlier this morning to 2 female pups. Unfortunately, both of them didn’t make it
    Coco killed both of them. There were bite marks on both of the pups’ paws and mouths. I don’t really think Coco realized she was pregnant

  22. #36
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    41
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by julifhy View Post
    Coco gave birth earlier this morning to 2 female pups. Unfortunately, both of them didn’t make it
    Coco killed both of them. There were bite marks on both of the pups’ paws and mouths. I don’t really think Coco realized she was pregnant
    I’m so happy to hear that Coco gave birth safely, but I’m sorry you lost both of the babies. First time mothers ( like my sows) are sometimes “ scared” of their pups or hate them,which causes stress; and Coco doesn’t have a friend to comfort her, that’s probably why Coco killed her pups.My Peanut (who had her first litter at age 2,which is VERY risky), hated her pups at first, but then she nursed them all . Again, sorry for your loss, @julifhy.

  23. #37
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    I can’t really find exact info to why she would do that. Was it because she was malnourished somehow? Or stressed out? I feel so bad I checked her pelvic bones yesterday, but they didn’t seem to be separating, so I though she would give birth later in the week. I named the pups Mocha and Mochi. They look adorable

  24. #38
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    I’m so happy to hear that Coco gave birth safely, but I’m sorry you lost both of the babies. First time mothers ( like my sows) are sometimes “ scared” of their pups or hate them,which causes stress; and Coco doesn’t have a friend to comfort her, that’s probably why Coco killed her pups.My Peanut (who had her first litter at age 2,which is VERY risky), hated her pups at first, but then she nursed them all . Again, sorry for your loss, @julifhy.
    Thank you for all the help. She did seem pretty scared, but she’s okay now. I feel horrible though I know there’s probably nothing I could of done, but it’s so sad

  25. #39
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    98
    Thanks
    41
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by julifhy View Post
    Thank you for all the help. She did seem pretty scared, but sheís okay now. I feel horrible though I know thereís probably nothing I could of done, but itís so sad
    Please donít blame yourself, itís not your fault. The mortality rate of pregnant sows and pups is VERY high, thatís why we should never breed guinea pigs.
    My Chocolate gave birth to a litter of 3. At first I thought everything was alright until 3 days after they were born, one of the pups (who I named Durian) became notably weak. I was very, very worried and was syringe feeding him every 1-2 hrs, through the nights. He was improving day by day and I was so relieved. One day, I found him limp in his cage.He didnít make it. I was devastated and cried so hard, and kept blaming myself for not coming there earlier, not separating him with the rest of the herd, and how I could have prevented all of this from happening by sexing my pigs properly. I understand how you feel, but sometimes things just arenít the way we wanted. In Durianís case, he had some kind of defects that are just not compatible with life. Coco was just trying to defend herself because she was scared, without knowing that the pups were harmless. She didnít mean to do it.
    Here was my beautiful little Durian. Although he had stayed with me for only 12 days, I still miss him terribly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9B7707C-1B44-4E25-99BF-44C47AD34237.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	87330  

  26. "Thank you, peanny77, for this useful post," says:


  27. #40
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Is my guinea pig pregnant or is she gaining weight/growing??

    Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    Please donít blame yourself, itís not your fault. The mortality rate of pregnant sows and pups is VERY high, thatís why we should never breed guinea pigs.
    My Chocolate gave birth to a litter of 3. At first I thought everything was alright until 3 days after they were born, one of the pups (who I named Durian) became notably weak. I was very, very worried and was syringe feeding him every 1-2 hrs, through the nights. He was improving day by day and I was so relieved. One day, I found him limp in his cage.He didnít make it. I was devastated and cried so hard, and kept blaming myself for not coming there earlier, not separating him with the rest of the herd, and how I could have prevented all of this from happening by sexing my pigs properly. I understand how you feel, but sometimes things just arenít the way we wanted. In Durianís case, he had some kind of defects that are just not compatible with life. Coco was just trying to defend herself because she was scared, without knowing that the pups were harmless. She didnít mean to do it.
    Here was my beautiful little Durian. Although he had stayed with me for only 12 days, I still miss him terribly.
    Itís hard not to blame myself, but I know thereís nothing I could of done. They were probably born around 5 and my dad found them at around 6. If he hadnít seen them, I would probably notice a lot later. They were so cute
    My mom said that she read new guinea pig moms sometimes accidentally bite the baby guinea pigs when theyíre cleaning them. Do you think that could of happened? When I first got Coco, she wouldnít stop licking me , but about in the beginning of this week she started biting. I looked it up, but I also canít really find much info of why she would be biting. Itís definitely not on accident. Maybe itís her teeth? I got her a chew toy out of willow branches, but she doesnít seem interested in it. Is there any chew toys you might recommend?
    Sheís also now 1.31 lbs. Is that a normal weight for a 2.5 month old guinea pig?

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •