Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Fungal infection?

Hey all,

Is this a fungal infection?

The dime-sized black spot is originally from when he was bitten by his cagemate before I adopted him, but he has since been to the vet and finished a round of antibiotics. The vet told me that I should look out for a fungal infection in the area, which is why I started applying clotrimazole cream twice daily on the black spot. However, I'm still not 100% certain it's a fungal infection.

Any advice/comments is appreciated. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	87288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	87289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	87290

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4069 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,510 Rec'd/6,001 Posts

Re: Fungal infection?

It doesn't look fungal to me, but it could be. It looks more "warty" than it does like an infection.

Could it just be a scab from the bite? Does there seem to be an infection underneath it? Did the vet have you flush the bite as well as give antibiotics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Fungal infection?

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    It doesn't look fungal to me, but it could be. It looks more "warty" than it does like an infection.

Could it just be a scab from the bite? Does there seem to be an infection underneath it? Did the vet have you flush the bite as well as give antibiotics?
    I agree. After thinking about it some more, I think it's most likely a scab from the bite since there doesn't seem to be an infection underneath it. The organization I adopted the guinea pig from was actually the one who had him seen by the vet, and they made no mention of flushing the bite in conjunction with administering antibiotics, so I'm not sure on that regard.

I'll keep a closer look on the little guy and continue applying the clotrimazole, just in case it turns out to be a fungal infection.

User Tag List