Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Piggy dealing with loss

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I lost my sweet boy Leo yesterday suddenly and unexpectedly and now of course my thoughts go to Sawyer he seems fine not even missing him. Maybe im missing Leo so much ive put my feelings onto Sawyer. I honestly dont want to get another pig I dont want to stress my 5 year old Sawyer out with a young lad with him. Sawyer is very dominate and I believe that he wouldn't want to be introduced to another pig. Im saying all of this because what would you do in this situation.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost Leo. You have my condolences.

At this point, I would just wait and see how Sawyer handles being on his own. To give him something to do and to think about, I would rearrange the cage a bit to occupy him. Give him extra attention and monitor his weight and activity levels.

I have a single female who is healthy and active on her own. So while I know it's recommended that they have a buddy, it's not always necessary. And you certainly don't want to stress Sawyer out with a new pig that may decide to take charge.

Again my sympathy, and take care of yourself and Sawyer.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry that you lost Leo, and when it's unexpected, it sometimes hurts even more. Although having been in a similar situation not long ago, I can only tell you how I handled it.

My Sparky was almost four when his cagemate died. I had no doubt that I wanted to continue to keep cavies, so I was ready to find him a new roommate. Just about that time, Sparky began to have some health issues (Congestive Heart Failure) and we knew that his lifespan was limited. He was very bonded to us and we decided to just shower him with love and affection for whatever time he had remaining and forget about getting a new cagemate. He thrived with all the attention as he was literally our only child and included in about everything we did at home.

His spirit was so strong and the bond with us so strong that he probably lived longer than anyone thought possible. We grieved terribly when he crossed the Rainbow Bridge and didn't get more cavies for four months. When we did, we got two baby boars that are just delightful, but a lot of work. I had forgotten just how much work little ones can be.

If you want to get a new roomie for Sawyer, I suggest you find a rescue that will permit you to bring Sawyer in for a "meet-and-greet" and let him pick out his own new friend. It might be a cavy about his age, or otherwise. That won't be a guarantee of compatibility, but it will give you an indication as to whether or not that's the route to go.

All the best in your decision. :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.