Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Advice after cage mate has passed

CassJones17

Cavy Gazer
Hi,
I had two Guinea pigs, Cinnamon and Clover who are five years old. Sadly Cinnamon had to be put down this morning. I am not looking to get another pig so I wanted some advice for Clover. I know that it’s best to keep them in pairs because they are social animals. I’m a little concerned about leaving him as a sole pig. I want what’s best for him. He’s still eating and being his usual self but it hasn’t been been a day yet. I read on a few sites that sometimes it may be better to rehome a single pig with someone who has other pigs they can be with. I’m just wondering what’s best in this situation and looking for some advice!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
First off, please let me offer my condolences for your loss. It's so difficult to say good-bye to our beloved pets. I'm sure Cinnamon was a wonderful guinea pig and will be very missed by those who loved him.

Let me give you my opinion on whether you should consider rehoming Clover. My answer is no. I assume he has been with you for his entire five years of life. He knows you, he loves you, and he trusts you. He might be sad and he might grieve for a while but he's in the home that he has always known. In an ideal world it would be better for him to be with other guinea pigs but if you continue to give him love and attention I feel staying right where he is the best thing.

When I got my first two pigs they were brothers and were just a few weeks old. They lived together all of their lives and a few months short of reaching his 7th birthday Rusti passed away. I did not want to introduce another pig to a senior pig so Randi lived his remaining 8 months by himself. He did very well by himself. I gave him lots of attention and spent lots of time holding him on my lap. Even though he and his brother were extremely bonded he never really grieved and he seemed to enjoy his remaining time with me.

I hope that you do decide to keep Clover. I feel the best thing for him is to stay with his devoted owner. I'm sure you love him and will make his remaining years happy.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cinnamon. You have my sympathy.

As far as Clover is concerned, I agree with Kelsie. He has already lost his cage mate, if would be a shame if he lost his home as well. Whether he grieves or not is yet to be seen, and there are things you can do to keep him active and interested in his surroundings.

I have a single female and I change her cage around each day so she has different hideys, her hay and water are in a different place, and I drop veggies around the cage so she has to explore. Guinea pigs memorize paths to safety, and this is mentally stimulating to investigate new surroundings. I provide treat toys that she rolls around to dispense veggie pieces and pellets. And I have a snuffle mat that I made from fleece that I can hide veggies in and she has to snuffle and dig to find the food.

There are lots of ways to keep Clover active and mentally stimulated so he can live a happy life with you.

Take care and best wishes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.