Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? What colour is this little boar?

Kdorsett

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone
im needing a little help figuring out what colour he is, it's quite hard to describe he is sort of a light grey with a tinge of light brown. He is a twin so I have two exactly the same they are really cute. I'm not sure if he is a violet or something else so any comments would be really helpful.
thanks all x ( I tryed my best to get a decent photo)

Attachments

IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0436.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Seems like an Agouti to me. Not sure,though.

Kdorsett

Cavy Slave
I'd agree agouti, but it's the colour that I can't decide on :)

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Such a pretty little piggy! I'm good at colors, and this one still stumped me!

I think he's a Cinnamon Agouti mixed with Lilac or Slate coloring. Cinnamon Agouti have a mostly silver coat with a chocolate undercoat, and he has the light belly fur and rings around his eyes that go with Agouti. That said, his color is very Slate/Lilac looking as well, and he doesn't look quite as densely speckled as nearly all agoutis. I'd almost say he's Argente, not Agouti, except Argentes always have pink eyes and lack the light belly fur/eye ring coloring. This link shows great pictures/descriptions of all these colors! https://emmasguineapigs.blogspot.com/p/cavy-colours.html?m=1

So my final guess is he's a Cinnamon Agouti/Lilac or Cinnamon Agouti/Lilac Argente mix! Such a unique piggy! :love:

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
You have an adorable little piggy! One thing I would mention, however, is be careful how you hold them. I know you're trying to show the unique coloring and the light belly fur, but it's a good idea to keep a hand under their back feet when you pick them up. They are actually quite fragile and they can get a back or rib injury if they wiggle while being held around the ribs.

Kdorsett

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your comments, I realise holding him like that was not right but it was only for two seconds and his feet were resting on my stomach, I was holding him loosely. And also it was very tricky taking a pic one handed, I'm yet to perfect that :D. I would love to keep them all but I don't have the space, it was a accidental mating, so if anyone is wanting a baby pig then I live in Birmingham, England xx

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sorry, a bit late to the party.

What country or region you're in can alter what coat colours are known as (an example I can think of is red/orange/gold, which always confuses me). The dilute agoutis can be a little tricky because there are some shades that don't have "official" names... I find trying to guess the genetics of a piggy help me work out what a colour could be (as ridiculous as that sounds, but there can be different shades of the same colour, which doesn't help!). With the agoutis though the paw pad colour, ear colour, and eye colour can be really helpful in determing what colour agouti a pig is. The belly band colour can also help, which is the name for the underbelly colour (unless the piggy is a solid agouti... solid agoutis are ticked all over and don't have a belly band). I know that might be really confusing, ha, sorry!

I would say, depending on your little guy's eye colour, that he's either a sable agouti or cinnamon agouti. He's a dilute agouti... of some description... anyway. Super cute little dude!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.