Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

julifhy

Cavy Slave
I might just be overthinking this, but I just wanted to be sure. I adopted a guinea pig a couple days ago, I was told she’s a month and a half old, and she’s still pretty skittish, but getting used to me and my family. Anyways, I noticed she is drinking a lot of water. I don’t know if it’s because she doesn’t really come out to eat/drink during the day and then later at night she drinks A LOT of water because she’s just thirsty, or if there is an underlying issue. She has access to Timothy hay, pellets, fresh fruit and vegetables, and clean water of course. She’s also peeing a lot during both the day and night. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should look out for?

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I think there isn’t anything to worry about.She’s adopted a couple days ago so she’s skittish and scared of people,so she prefers to eat and drink at night when no humans are around.My first pig was also very skittish and froze in one place during the day,then I heard chewing and bottle clicking sounds at night.And guinea pigs pee at any time.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, check to make sure the bottle isn't leaking. Or that she's not playing with it and letting the water spill out.

julifhy

Cavy Slave
I think there isn’t anything to worry about.She’s adopted a couple days ago so she’s skittish and scared of people,so she prefers to eat and drink at night when no humans are around.My first pig was also very skittish and froze in one place during the day,then I heard chewing and bottle clicking sounds at night.And guinea pigs pee at any time.
Ty! I think that’s just what it is. She’s becoming a lot more comfortable now though, but she still seems to be drinking a lot.

julifhy

Cavy Slave
Also, check to make sure the bottle isn't leaking. Or that she's not playing with it and letting the water spill out.
The bottle is definitely leaking. Do you have any recommendations on certain bottles? I’ve always used the Kaytee one and it always leaks. She could be playing with it. I didn’t think of that. Ty!

peanny77

Cavy Slave
@julifhy,refilling the bottle to the top may help.Does it leak constantly or only for a short time?I always order small 125ml bottles online and they work really well,no leaking at all.I don’t know if big bottles may leak more than small ones?I’ve been using small bottles only. @bpatters,I have no idea they could play with their bottles!My pigs never do that.How can they play with it and let the water spill out?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They just bump the bottles with their noses or mouths and the water leaks out.

Double check the bottles and make sure they've got washers in them and that the washers are properly seated. That may fix your problem.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
duplicate post, oops.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@julifhy,refilling the bottle to the top may help.Does it leak constantly or only for a short time?I always order small 125ml bottles online and they work really well,no leaking at all.I don’t know if big bottles may leak more than small ones?I’ve been using small bottles only. @bpatters,I have no idea they could play with their bottles!My pigs never do that.How can they play with it and let the water spill out?

The bottles have a fill line on them, and the reason for this is because if you fill it right to the top, it can cause what's called "hydro-lock".

What this means, is that even though the bottle is full, the pressure inside makes it impossible for the pig to get any water. That's why a lot of vessels say never to fill to the top, only 95% of liquid capacity.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I have to confess that I DO fill the bottle to the top. :eek:hmy: I check to be sure that the rubber washer is seated correctly, screw the top on tight, turn the bottle upright and squeeze it slightly along with tapping the metal ball to ensure that the water will come out.........and I'm done.

Only once has this method failed me and Rascal let me know about it. I walked toward the cage and he whined and "pawed" at the bottle to let me know he couldn't get water. He's a smart little man. As soon as I started the flow of water. He went about his business and so did I. And, of course, there are always two water bottles in the cage just in case one malfunctions.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I have to confess that I DO fill the bottle to the top. :eek:hmy: I check to be sure that the rubber washer is seated correctly, screw the top on tight, turn the bottle upright and squeeze it slightly along with tapping the metal ball to ensure that the water will come out.........and I'm done.

Only once has this method failed me and Rascal let me know about it. I walked toward the cage and he whined and "pawed" at the bottle to let me know he couldn't get water. He's a smart little man. As soon as I started the flow of water. He went about his business and so did I. And, of course, there are always two water bottles in the cage just in case one malfunctions.
I always fill my bottle to the top and never had any problems.Wow.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a 6 week old too. She drinks half her 6 oz bottle a day, so 3 oz. Meanwhile Bella my 3 yo some days doesn't seem to drink much. I'm not seeing anything concerning. The summer months seems they drink more vs winter.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I always fill my bottle to the top and never had any problems.Wow.

I leave about a half inch from the top. The air creates a vacuum so water will flow. Also always check to make sure the ball in the nozzle is mobile. It can freeze up and no water will come out. When change the water shake the nozzle to make sure you hear the ball moving.

TimmyFlathers

Cavy Gazer
Just let her be... Nothing to worry about there as long as she's drinking water. Her NOT drinking would be the problem.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Just let her be... Nothing to worry about there as long as she's drinking water. Her NOT drinking would be the problem.

At this age, most likely not a problem. However gps can get diabetes and that could be a sign. That's why you do as much no sugar foods as possible like fruits.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I have a 6 week old too. She drinks half her 6 oz bottle a day, so 3 oz. Meanwhile Bella my 3 yo some days doesn't seem to drink much. I'm not seeing anything concerning. The summer months seems they drink more vs winter.
My 2yo sow Peanut drinks a lot,she finishes up a 125 ml bottle every day (I have 3 bottles).My 8 month old Jackfruit,however,it can take him a w(h)eek to finish up one of the bottles.It depends on the pig and the weather.

julifhy

Cavy Slave
Ty everyone for all the replies! :) I tried started filling up the water bottle up a little past the line (not all the way to the top though) and it stopped leaking. I think I'm still going to get a new water bottle though since the one I currently have is pretty old.

Marina5

Cavy Slave
I have the opposite situation. My pig drinks water very rarely. Sometimes she can avoid drinking all day

julifhy

Cavy Slave
I thought I would update since I figured out why she was drinking so much.
1. It was pretty hot
2. She was pregnant

She still seems to drink a lot, but it's probably a more normal amount now :)

stray hares

Cavy Slave
I was going to comment on this thread that I would nearly always suspect pregnancy in a newly acquired female piggy if she appears to be drinking a lot. It's one of the earlier signs of pregnancy.

I hope the birth went smoothly and everyone is doing well. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.