Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I might just be overthinking this, but I just wanted to be sure. I adopted a guinea pig a couple days ago, I was told she’s a month and a half old, and she’s still pretty skittish, but getting used to me and my family. Anyways, I noticed she is drinking a lot of water. I don’t know if it’s because she doesn’t really come out to eat/drink during the day and then later at night she drinks A LOT of water because she’s just thirsty, or if there is an underlying issue. She has access to Timothy hay, pellets, fresh fruit and vegetables, and clean water of course. She’s also peeing a lot during both the day and night. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should look out for?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    44
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I think there isn’t anything to worry about.She’s adopted a couple days ago so she’s skittish and scared of people,so she prefers to eat and drink at night when no humans are around.My first pig was also very skittish and froze in one place during the day,then I heard chewing and bottle clicking sounds at night.And guinea pigs pee at any time.

  3. "Thank you, peanny77, for this useful post," says:


  4. #3
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    194
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Also, check to make sure the bottle isn't leaking. Or that she's not playing with it and letting the water spill out.

  5. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  6. #4
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    I think there isn’t anything to worry about.She’s adopted a couple days ago so she’s skittish and scared of people,so she prefers to eat and drink at night when no humans are around.My first pig was also very skittish and froze in one place during the day,then I heard chewing and bottle clicking sounds at night.And guinea pigs pee at any time.
    Ty! I think that’s just what it is. She’s becoming a lot more comfortable now though, but she still seems to be drinking a lot.

  7. #5
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Also, check to make sure the bottle isn't leaking. Or that she's not playing with it and letting the water spill out.
    The bottle is definitely leaking. Do you have any recommendations on certain bottles? I’ve always used the Kaytee one and it always leaks. She could be playing with it. I didn’t think of that. Ty!

  8. #6
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    44
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    @julifhy,refilling the bottle to the top may help.Does it leak constantly or only for a short time?I always order small 125ml bottles online and they work really well,no leaking at all.I don’t know if big bottles may leak more than small ones?I’ve been using small bottles only. @bpatters,I have no idea they could play with their bottles!My pigs never do that.How can they play with it and let the water spill out?
    Last edited by peanny77; 08-29-20 at 08:37 am.

  9. "Thank you, peanny77, for this useful post," says:


  10. #7
    Administrator bpatters's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 23, 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    29,317
    Thanks
    194
    Thanks
    7,403 Rec'd/5,906 Posts
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3991 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    They just bump the bottles with their noses or mouths and the water leaks out.

    Double check the bottles and make sure they've got washers in them and that the washers are properly seated. That may fix your problem.

  11. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:


  12. #8
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    587
    Thanks
    759 Rec'd/579 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    duplicate post, oops.

  13. #9
    Cavy Champion Guinea Pig Papa's Avatar
    Joined
    May 12, 2015
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,740
    Thanks
    587
    Thanks
    759 Rec'd/579 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quoted
    493 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    @julifhy,refilling the bottle to the top may help.Does it leak constantly or only for a short time?I always order small 125ml bottles online and they work really well,no leaking at all.I don’t know if big bottles may leak more than small ones?I’ve been using small bottles only. @bpatters,I have no idea they could play with their bottles!My pigs never do that.How can they play with it and let the water spill out?


    The bottles have a fill line on them, and the reason for this is because if you fill it right to the top, it can cause what's called "hydro-lock".

    What this means, is that even though the bottle is full, the pressure inside makes it impossible for the pig to get any water. That's why a lot of vessels say never to fill to the top, only 95% of liquid capacity.

  14. #10
    Cavy Slave spy9doc's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 09, 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    81
    Thanks
    1,624 Rec'd/1,333 Posts
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1192 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I have to confess that I DO fill the bottle to the top. I check to be sure that the rubber washer is seated correctly, screw the top on tight, turn the bottle upright and squeeze it slightly along with tapping the metal ball to ensure that the water will come out.........and I'm done.

    Only once has this method failed me and Rascal let me know about it. I walked toward the cage and he whined and "pawed" at the bottle to let me know he couldn't get water. He's a smart little man. As soon as I started the flow of water. He went about his business and so did I. And, of course, there are always two water bottles in the cage just in case one malfunctions.

  15. #11
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    44
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I have to confess that I DO fill the bottle to the top. I check to be sure that the rubber washer is seated correctly, screw the top on tight, turn the bottle upright and squeeze it slightly along with tapping the metal ball to ensure that the water will come out.........and I'm done.

    Only once has this method failed me and Rascal let me know about it. I walked toward the cage and he whined and "pawed" at the bottle to let me know he couldn't get water. He's a smart little man. As soon as I started the flow of water. He went about his business and so did I. And, of course, there are always two water bottles in the cage just in case one malfunctions.
    I always fill my bottle to the top and never had any problems.Wow.

  16. #12
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2013
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    2,593
    Thanks
    539
    Thanks
    570 Rec'd/439 Posts
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I have a 6 week old too. She drinks half her 6 oz bottle a day, so 3 oz. Meanwhile Bella my 3 yo some days doesn't seem to drink much. I'm not seeing anything concerning. The summer months seems they drink more vs winter.

  17. #13
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2013
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    2,593
    Thanks
    539
    Thanks
    570 Rec'd/439 Posts
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by peanny77 View Post
    I always fill my bottle to the top and never had any problems.Wow.
    I leave about a half inch from the top. The air creates a vacuum so water will flow. Also always check to make sure the ball in the nozzle is mobile. It can freeze up and no water will come out. When change the water shake the nozzle to make sure you hear the ball moving.

  18. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:


  19. #14
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 26, 2020
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    3
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Just let her be... Nothing to worry about there as long as she's drinking water. Her NOT drinking would be the problem.

  20. "Thank you, TimmyFlathers, for this useful post," says:


  21. #15
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 17, 2013
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    Posts
    2,593
    Thanks
    539
    Thanks
    570 Rec'd/439 Posts
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyFlathers View Post
    Just let her be... Nothing to worry about there as long as she's drinking water. Her NOT drinking would be the problem.
    At this age, most likely not a problem. However gps can get diabetes and that could be a sign. That's why you do as much no sugar foods as possible like fruits.

  22. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:


  23. #16
    Cavy Slave peanny77's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 30, 2020
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    44
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/12 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I have a 6 week old too. She drinks half her 6 oz bottle a day, so 3 oz. Meanwhile Bella my 3 yo some days doesn't seem to drink much. I'm not seeing anything concerning. The summer months seems they drink more vs winter.
    My 2yo sow Peanut drinks a lot,she finishes up a 125 ml bottle every day (I have 3 bottles).My 8 month old Jackfruit,however,it can take him a w(h)eek to finish up one of the bottles.It depends on the pig and the weather.

  24. #17
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    Ty everyone for all the replies! I tried started filling up the water bottle up a little past the line (not all the way to the top though) and it stopped leaking. I think I'm still going to get a new water bottle though since the one I currently have is pretty old.

  25. #18
    Cavy Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 29, 2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I have the opposite situation. My pig drinks water very rarely. Sometimes she can avoid drinking all day

  26. #19
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 21, 2020
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    46
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I thought I would update since I figured out why she was drinking so much.
    1. It was pretty hot
    2. She was pregnant

    She still seems to drink a lot, but it's probably a more normal amount now

  27. #20
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Apr 24, 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    28
    Thanks
    134 Rec'd/98 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)

    Re: Guinea pig drinking A LOT of water

    I was going to comment on this thread that I would nearly always suspect pregnancy in a newly acquired female piggy if she appears to be drinking a lot. It's one of the earlier signs of pregnancy.

    I hope the birth went smoothly and everyone is doing well.

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •