Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Adopting a Friend For my Recently Single Guinea Pig?

cutieguineapig

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, this is my first ever post and I'm in need of some advice.

Just recently my beloved guinea pig who was about 5 years old had to be put down due to loads of complications :( . Her cage-mate Lucy is now alone for the first time since we introduced the pair and I'm not sure what to do. I am obviously very aware of how social guinea pigs are, but I will be leaving for college in a few years and I'm worried that my parents won't want to have to take care of another piggie when I'm gone. So far Lucy has been coping alright with the loss of her sister but I would hate for her to be lonely at all. Any ideas? Oh and Lucy is almost 5 by the way.

Thank you!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Your situation is one that I've seen many pig owners have to deal with. Some, like you, will soon be leaving for college and don't want to burden their parents with taking care of a guinea pig. Others are in the situation where they are wanting to take a break from guinea pig ownership and don't want to get another pig as a companion for their present pig. You will probably get several suggestions, but my opinion is that if Lucy is happy and doesn't appear to be grieving the loss of her cage-mate then I would just give her lots of attention and focus my care on her only. While Lucy at 5 years of age isn't an elderly pig she still is a little older pig and may not handle a new cage-mate.

Another suggestion would be to foster a new pig as a companion for Lucy. When you leave for college the foster pig could go back to the rescue. That would not be a choice that I would make but it is an option.

If I was faced with your situation I would just give Lucy the best life I could and not be concerned about adding a new pig. There are many guinea pigs who have to live alone, for many reasons, and they are very happy.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one for both you and Lucy.

cutieguineapig

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your reply! Right now we are mostly focused on Lucy's care and spending lots of time with her. Also, I asked my parents and they said they would be open to the option of adopting a new pig who is also about Lucy's age to be her cage mate.

We bonded Lucy and her old cage mate when they were both about 1 (they weren't originally sisters) and the introduction went smoothly, but I'm not sure if older guinea pigs have more trouble adapting to changes with their pairing? If anyone has heard anything about that let me know. I am going to the vet soon to get Lucy a checkup so I am also going to ask for their advice as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.