Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

They've bonded but are the arguing? Literally no clue whats going on lol

samnoelle

Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Sam (she/her) and I have two squeaky girls and I love them so incredibly much! They are my first two guinea pigs but I did about 6 months of research before scooping these two up. They were bonded a week after I got them because I didn't want them to get sick since I got them from two different places. They have been great together, playing, wheeking for food, talking to one another like old pals.
Until today. Agnes, who is younger and my second cavy started rumble strutting and went after Gemma (older by a month or a few weeks). Gemma is a way more laid back girl and has been looking at me like "wtf" when Agnes starts rumble strutting. They have been bonded and living together for about three weeks now and I'm confused as to why this happened all the sudden. Anyone have any ideas on how to handle it oe why they are acting like this?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like perfectly normal everyday behaviour to me. Unless there is outright bloodshed, everything is usually just fine. Rumblestrutting as it's called, is absolutely normal behaviour.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolute normal, and probably related to her being in heat. Heat comes around every 14-16 days, so you can expect it again.

How old are they?

samnoelle

Cavy Slave
You have put my mind at ease, thank you so much!!

samnoelle

Cavy Slave
Agnes (the one rumblestrutting) is about 2.5 months and the other is about 3-3.5 months old. I was thinking she was just irritated because last night she was irritated with me.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nope. Heat.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I was thinking she was just irritated because last night she was irritated with me.

Sounds familiar! We've had one sow within the past 10 years and the day/night before she went into heat, she acted just like a female with PMS. >( My husband and I both laughed about it at the time, but sure enough her cycle began the next day. How did we know? Her cagemate was a neutered male and she would relentlessly pursue him all around the cage for about the first couple of days. Poor Chester had no idea what all the fuss was about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.