Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

HELP PLS!! mother didnt get to eat placenta!!

Yahallo

Cavy Gazer
Hi!! My guinea pig just gave birth to 2 babies today and it was my first time to experience such an event, i researched on what to do on the delivery and most if it told me to let the mother do everything and that i should clean the cage and rid of bloodstains and stuff so i did it, but as time passed i didnt see the mother breastfeeding the babies but i did see them eat hay, after that my mom and aunt just told me that the mother guinea pig should eat the placenta and as i remembered i did see something redish on the cloth i threw away. i dont know if that could have been the placenta. I never saw or read anything about the mother eating the placenta. Can i ask if what i did is something very serious and is it whats causing the mother not breastfeeding the babies??

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Well,my 2yo sow gave birth to 3 babies a week ago and she didn’t eat her placenta.After a few hours she started to lactate and fed her pups normally.I also watched a vid from LAGPR and one of their sows didn’t eat the placenta but fed her pups just fine.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
It may take a few hours for pigs to lactate so it’s normal if your sow doesn’t want to feed her pups now.If she doesn’t produce any milk,then you’ll have to hand feed the pups.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt you'll have to hand feed the pups, even if the mother doesn't produce milk. They're born ready to eat, and should be OK. But weigh them daily, preferably in the morning before breakfast, and keep a record of their weights. They may lose a little the first day or so, but should start gaining steadily after that.

Don't worry about the mom not eating the placenta. In fact, if you didn't see one (it would like tissue), she may indeed have eaten it before you saw it.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I doubt you'll have to hand feed the pups, even if the mother doesn't produce milk. They're born ready to eat, and should be OK. But weigh them daily, preferably in the morning before breakfast, and keep a record of their weights. They may lose a little the first day or so, but should start gaining steadily after that.

Don't worry about the mom not eating the placenta. In fact, if you didn't see one (it would like tissue), she may indeed have eaten it before you saw it.
Thank you,you taught me something.Because one of my pups was weak and couldn’t eat on his own,I had to hand feed them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.