Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Introducing new boar (1.5 yo) to current boar (3 yo)

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Just adopted a new boar, it's been 3 days since he's been home, and he seems to still be frightened by his environment.

Yesterday, I brought my current boar and the new boar out for introductions. I gave them an entire living room (equivalent to 5x4) space. They did really well, only minor chattering, and rumblestrutting. Introductions ended after an hour with 2 piggies napping. I brought them into my current 2x3 CC boar's cage (new lining, but did not clean coroplast of cage) and they immediately launched at each other. They're living with a divider between them ATM.

Took them out again today in my backyard in a 2x4 grid in the grass, and they still launched at each other upon encountering one another.

What should my next step be? Should I completely clean out the current 2x3 CC (interior and exterior), buy new coroplast and CC grids for the current 2x3 CC, or place them both in a new cage with different size and location of the house? My current boar has lived on his own for a year now because he did not get along with the last guinea pig I've introduced as well. I'm hoping this is just a temporary phase between two new guinea pigs, please someone tell me there's hope. :(

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
or would it be best to wait out and allow them to familiarize with each other through a divider, then try again homing w/o a divider after 2-3 weeks?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, a 2x3 cage is NOT large enough for two boars. A 2x4 is the bare minimum, and a 2x5 is much better.

Second, when you put them in a cage, it has to be thoroughly cleaned with nothing, and I mean NOTHING that smells like either pig. Otherwise, one pig is invading the other's territory, and they're guaranteed to squabble.

You don't need to buy new coroplast and grids, just clean them very well with vinegar and water. Take out any hideys that only one pig has used, and replace them, at least temporarily with upside down shoe boxes or something else.

Read https://guinealynx.info/introductions.html before you start again.

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Does a new location in the house have any effect?

And, is it 1:1 water to vinegar?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The location probably doesn't matter. And yes, 1:1 is the right ratio. You'll have to give it time to air out well after you clean it so it won't smell so bad to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.