Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! I'm new to the forum :)

julifhy

Cavy Slave
Hi! I adopted my first guinea pig, Ginger, when I was 9 years old. I was told she was 2 years old when I adopted her (although I'm starting to think she was younger since I got her from petsmart) and I had her for 6 years before she passed away 2 years ago. I miss her so much everyday :sad:
I've recently decided to adopt another guinea pig. I found her through an ad on craigslist. She is a 1.5 month old teddy guinea pig and her mom was a rescue. I have a 3x2 cage I'm currently setting up for her. She's still a little spooked to be in a new place, but after all this is her first day in her new home. She doesn't seem to like getting picked up, but she does seems to love being held. She's most comfortable when I'm holding her.
I'm also still not 100% sure what to name her. I'm deciding between Coco and Lychee or maybe M&M or Hershey. If anyone has other suggestions I would be glad to hear them :)
I'm not new to keeping guinea pigs, but I would also love to hear any tips anyone might have :)

Thunder

Cavy Slave
I like all your names. My only suggestion would be to consider getting her a buddy. Welcome to the forum!

julifhy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I ended up going with Coco :)
I think I’m going to get her a buddy soon. I was watching a video and there were guinea pigs in the background, Coco heard them and started calling for them. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be many female guinea pigs in my area that I would be able to adopt, but I will keep looking. She’s a lot more comfortable with me today :) and she’s also very sassy lol
1CC62C26-6310-4B9E-AC1E-0B39F34E9852.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where are you? City/state, not your address.

We might be able to help you find a pig.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
She's such a pretty little pig. I hope you are able to find her a buddy in the near future. They really come alive when they are able to interact with another pig. It was always amazing to watch how happy mine became when they realized there was another pig in the cage with them.

Thank you so much for giving this lovely lady a home. I can tell how attached you have become to her already. Welcome, Coco!

julifhy

Cavy Slave
I’m in the Bay Area. More specifically, Alameda County :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look on PetFinder.com. Even if a rescue doesn't seem all those close to you, check with them anyway. Most rescues are just a group of foster homes, and there may be a pig much closer to you than the rescue's address indicates.

Also, email them even if they don't show a pig available on PetFinder. Those listings are maintained by volunteers, and may not be up to date. Same thing with being patient about hearing from them -- again, volunteers.

julifhy

Cavy Slave
Look on PetFinder.com. Even if a rescue doesn't seem all those close to you, check with them anyway. Most rescues are just a group of foster homes, and there may be a pig much closer to you than the rescue's address indicates.

Also, email them even if they don't show a pig available on PetFinder. Those listings are maintained by volunteers, and may not be up to date. Same thing with being patient about hearing from them -- again, volunteers.
Ty! I will check that out! :)

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@julifhy, I'm also in the San Francisco Bay Area. In our area, for some reason, it takes awhile to find a solo female piggy. They get adopted really quickly but I've seen boar postings up for weeks. I read that you adopted Coco through Craig's List and there are several available right now. One is San Jose and another in the Pittsburgh/Antioch area has a litter of babies. Both parties are offering them for free.

Since we are in the same general area, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@SSLee, please contact the listers and ask them to charge a rehoming fee for those pigs. If they find someone they really like, they can waive the fee. But offering the pigs for free greatly increases the chances of their becoming snake food.

TimmyFlathers

Cavy Gazer
I think I’m going to get her a buddy soon. I was watching a video and there were guinea pigs in the background, Coco heard them and started calling for them. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be many female guinea pigs in my area that I would be able to adopt, but I will keep looking. She’s a lot more comfortable with me today :) and she’s also very sassy lol
View attachment 87257

Such a cutie.:)

julifhy

Cavy Slave
@julifhy, I'm also in the San Francisco Bay Area. In our area, for some reason, it takes awhile to find a solo female piggy. They get adopted really quickly but I've seen boar postings up for weeks. I read that you adopted Coco through Craig's List and there are several available right now. One is San Jose and another in the Pittsburgh/Antioch area has a litter of babies. Both parties are offering them for free.

Since we are in the same general area, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Ty! Unfortunately I didn't see the listings you were talking about, but I will keep checking :)

harrysalvatore

Cavy Gazer
View attachment 87257
Oh my God. What a cutie. I hope you find a decent match for her

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.