Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scabs, irritation, and scratching

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
Before I start, Oatmeal has a vet appointment already scheduled!! It is a couple days from now, I am just hoping to get insight about how to handle this with my other pigs + how to bring him some relief for now.

I noticed while cleaning his cage this afternoon that he had some scabs on the top of his head. Upon further looks, his eyes looked a bit irritated as well. I immediately shaved him (he is a texel and it’s impossible to tell with all his fur) and gave him a bath in an anti-dandriff shampoo that was recommended to me for fungus a while back. Any help? He is not caged with any other pig right now, although his cage is up against the others.

Attachments

920D3005-C856-445E-B0E7-8FC63AE83A03.jpg 6C7CCF6F-B517-49AC-986D-583CDE96BB38.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See https://guinealynx.info/fungus.html. There are several links to follow.

But those look like they could possibly be infected bites. He can't get to those on his back to scratch them.

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
Could it possibly be gnat bites? We have had an issue with gnats in the house recently. He has been seperated from all other guinea pigs for a while now since he did have issues with fighting.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Could be. Not all gnats bite, but some do.

I'd make sure there are no gnats around his cage, and treat the lesions with triple antibiotic cream (any brand, any pharmacy). Rub it in well with a q-tip, especially on areas where he might be able to lick.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree his back looks like bite marks that are infected. If gnats were biting they usually go for open skin like around and in the ears. The face looks fungal to me.

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
Update: at the vet right now, waiting for them to call me (have to sit outside because of COVID). It has gotten worse, he’s lost most of the hair around his eye & head. Really just wanting my baby to feel better. I’ll keep you guys updated

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
It’s been a second since I updated, my bad!! Vet recommended Revolution in case of mates or other bugs, anti-parasitic medication in case of ring worm, and antibiotics for the deep scabs. From the day I posted this to the day of his appointment, it got worse. So there was much more hair gone & more scabs than in those pictures. I will also give him another anti-fungal bath. Fortunately, his spirit has remained strong. He is still a healthy eater, pooper, and drinker. And his weaker definitely still works, he is quite noisy when he has to get his meds. I have also been putting on the Antibiotic ointment like BPatters recommended. He actually seems to really like it when i apply it, since his ears look very dry and I’m sure those scabs are uncomfortable.

I’m not quite sure if he’s improving, but he is definitely not getting worse. Oh, and those bite marks healed. Thank you guys for the help. Will keep updating, since someone may have the same problem as me in the future!!

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
Update: The vet called, he tested positive for ringworm. He will continue on the medication for ringworm for an additional week. Does anyone have anything that could give him some relief, or aid him in the healing process? I feel so horrible looking at his skin, it must cause him a lot of discomfort.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The vet could have given you some steroid cream to help with the itching.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
As it is ringworm, stop with the antibiotic cream on the skin.

What has the vet prescribed for the ringworm infection, is it an oral medication, a cream for the skin, or is it the anti fungal baths?

If it is not a cream you are applying and his skin is looking very dry you can apply cold presses coconut oil to help sooth the skin a little bit in absence of a steroid cream.

hkwalker1

Cavy Slave
He is currently on oral antibiotics,, Itrafungol (oral medication), and he received a skin dose of Revolution on Friday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.