Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh Thoughts/concerns on Sunseed paper bedding?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
We're one of the few people who actually prefer paper bedding to fleece... We always get Carefresh or Critter Care, because unlike most paper bedding, they're not dusty, have more large /thick pieces, and make a great comfy bedding that's very absorbent.

We just got this Sunseed Fresh World bedding mistakenly thinking it was just like Carefresh. It's a lot finer, with smaller almost pellet like pieces, and it has baking soda added. It's supposed to still be 99% dust free.

Is the baking soda bad? Are the smaller pieces cause for concern?

I was a little worried the smaller pieces might cause issues with their private parts (like wood shavings do) since my piggies are boars. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated! :) Screenshot_20200815-203148.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The old "think" was that baking soda could cause respiratory issues. Quite honestly, based on about 7-8 years of using litter containing it, I haven't seen any issues. For comparison, take a look at Petco's SoPhresh Crumbled Paper Bedding (https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/so-phresh-crumbled-paper-small-animal-bedding)which is what I use. My cavies are not directly on the litter all the time since my cage is largely fleece with the litter and hay in the litter boxes.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The Sunseed looks exactly like SoPhresh! That said, my two are on it all the time.... sometimes they even like to push it in a pile to sleep on. Ah well, I'll keep thinking about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.