Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Suspected Fungal Infection, Next Steps?

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Hi!, I have recently found an increasing number of tufts of fur with skin plugs on the ends and my piggies seem to be a little itchier than normal. I am yet to find any bald spots or scabby areas on them. I think this may be early fungal infection. What should I do next?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

ThePiggieLover

Cavy Slave
Just bathed my piggies and I am currently letting them air dry completely in a warm room. I gave them lots of snacks and they are dry for the most part aside from slightly damp bums but I did just finish washing them about 15 minutes ago so that is to be expected. Is there anything I am doing horribly wrong? I just want to make sure I am not messing anything up. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There shouldn't be any problem as long as you rinsed them well.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Just bathed my piggies and I am currently letting them air dry completely in a warm room.

That's probably o.k. in warm weather. However, I always dry my cavies with a hairdryer set on "low", use a diffuser, and keep my hand between the piggy and the dryer, fluffing the hair as I go. In cooler weather, I make sure to bathe them earlier in the day so that they will be dry down to the skin by evening. In cooler weather, I will then often sit with them on my chest with a light towel over them so that my body heat helps to warm them as well.

If they are frightened by the bath, sitting with them snuggled in a towel often calms them as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.