Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Craigslist Adoption Terrified

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would separate them. It's obvious keeping them together is not working and the younger one is bullied and terrified. They need their own space and then you can work with them individually.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
It's the Midwest. The baby seems terrified of the older one though, always squealing and trying to get away. I'm used to having males so it's odd to see this reaction. Older female screams if you get close to her with your hand, tries to dig, etc. It's sad. I was hoping she'd relax a bit, but just when I think I'm making progress like her eating out of my hand after five scared minutes, or goes up to sniff my hand for a second, she reverts a moment later.

The midwest cages are great for travel and temporary medical cages, but one midwest cage isn't sufficient for the permanent residence of 2 guinea pigs. You are seeing an example of that.

There just isn't room for them to have their own space, get out of sight of each other and move about comfortably, especially when there is a stressed out pig.

If you are set on the midwest, I strongly suggest that you have two put together...but even then they are more narrow than a 2 grid width, so you may have some stress. You can successfully combine them by taking 2 cages unhooking one corner and joining them together in a very large square by allowing both cages to make the perimeter. You will then have to be creative in forming the floor panel or cutting coroplast to fit, but it is doable.

I also highly suggest and am a strong believer in creating a second floor to promote harmony between pigs, so I encourage you to make a C&C cage to do so. Just be sure to make it a big enough space that they can't get trapped and can easily exit (I like to have 2 ramps). But again, there are mezzanine lofts you can create or buy on this site for the midwest. It just is an easy way to create space and reduce stress between pigs.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I know this forum doesn't like the midwest, so I expected that response, but most cases that the LAGPR (they recommend these for two females) has seen hasn't resulted in this. It might be the fact the older one was raised by a rabbit, and the baby is, well, a baby. I'm trying a few more things to see if it works out, and if the bond still doesn't feel like it's holding, I'm going to have an appointment ready in a month.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
I know this forum doesn't like the midwest, so I expected that response, but most cases that the LAGPR (they recommend these for two females) has seen hasn't resulted in this. It might be the fact the older one was raised by a rabbit, and the baby is, well, a baby. I'm trying a few more things to see if it works out, and if the bond still doesn't feel like it's holding, I'm going to have an appointment ready in a month.
[MENTION=45816]Rynn21[/MENTION]...I gave my advice from PERSONAL experience. I also started with a midwest cage, so my suggestion did not come from judgement, it came from my learned experience and having to problem solve issues with my own pigs. I soon learned that it's NOT about statistics and guides, it's ALL about the guinea pigs who are living in the cage. So, I created what was necessary for the pigs I had.

Some do well in a smaller environment (the minimum requirements), but with others it will stress them out. It also depends on the pig they share space with.

For example, I had 2 females who live in complete harmony now...but when they were in anything more narrow than at least a 3 grid width and no upper level, they would draw blood on anyone just because they walked past. In a larger environment, they are as friendly as can be and live with multiple pigs with no problems. The key is there is space for fleece forests, areas that are out of sight and quiet corners they can have time alone.

Another one of my female pigs will try to literally destroy the cage if she is put in a smaller space. She will frantically rip/bite/tear at the fleece and frantically bite and claw at the coroplast in an effort to get out. When put in her 6x6 with 2x10 upper level she is the most relaxed, calm pig you have ever seen...and she shares this space with several other pigs.

The midwest just doesn't offer the space for most pigs to build confidence and have their own territory from their cage mate or from humans walking by. They are always on display.

It just all depends on the pigs involved and how adaptable you are willing to be to meet their unique personality needs I guess.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I understand, not judging either way. :) I unfortunately do not have room for a c&c for them at the moment. Maybe in the future. My two boys have c&c that expanded when they fought and I had to split it down the middle. It's definitely far more cost efficient in the long run. I put some binder bars on coroplast and that seems to drastically reduce interest in chewing. I had the fleece hooked over the tarp with binder clips cause they loved to dig the fleece away from the corners (still do), and just overnight both girls were chewing the corners. I laid it flat down again and it stopped. Might just be the fact they're super young. I have an appointment with the rescue at the end of Oct. for a bonding session, so no matter what happens everyone will be well looked after. Good news though is my malnourished 2 month old girl from her previous home (no hay, hamster seed food, no water...in a living world castle with a sand bath orb as a hide) is now over the normal weight!

In other news, one of my boys decided to become a barber today. I looked down and 3 inches of a few strands of my hair was on the floor. The horror, haha.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
The two girls are trying to get away from each other. They are stressed and don't want to be together. Is there any way you can get them separated until your appointment the end of October? Three months is a long time to be forced to live with someone you're terrified of.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
Bella, the older one, drinks a lot of water, and ever has since getting her, which means she soaks the bedding every day. She has access to everything a piggie could need: water, hay 24/7, pellets, and veggies daily.
I routinely do health checks on my guinea pigs, boar, ear, cleanings, nail trimming, listening to the breathing, and feeling around to see if there are any lumps or stones. She looks healthy and doesn't act in pain. She hates being touched and will freak out, begin screaming and try to escape anywhere she can, even if that means up on my shoulder. Has anyone ever experienced a minus 12 month old guinea pig that was so terrified of everything in the world they pee, bite through things, and flee all the time? I've tried to work with her over the last months, but the most she will do is sniff my hand and sometimes take food from me. I will never know what really happened at her last home (with the rabbit as the only buddy and no human handling), but I do worry about her ever getting well mentally.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It may very well be that she is in a state that she'll always be in. What I do believe is that time will bring her around more to you even though she may never be a "perfect pig" so to speak.

She sounds like she's going to take a LOT of time and love to come around to the point where she enjoy or at least tolerates company or being held or touched. So very sad to think of what may have happened to her to make her like this.

My Simon drinks a lot of water as well, at least 8oz a day. He's always been like that so yes, bedding changes are more frequent now than they were before. I do hope you can bring this little lady out of her shell.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I feel so bad for her. :\

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't imagine what it must be like for you, or for her. You've put 3 months into her already. I think if anyone is going to be able to help her become what she can be, it's you.

She's very lucky to have you.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I have noticed one thing: She does not like being held at an angle like on your chest. She has to be sitting flat on something.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
It's not that at all. The older one has stress from her old home, which rubs off on the younger one. They often eat next to each other and lay by the other. They rumplestrut and nose punch, but that's common from what I hear.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine doesn’t like to be held at an angle either, and she was a fairly social pig when I got her. It must be an awkward position because she just looks scared and holds still. Then when she has all fours on my lap she’s more comfortable.

Some days she she has a fit when I pick her up and whistles like she’s being attacked. Other times she’s feisty and pushes my hand away. And some days she just puts up with being held.

I hope you can can make some progress with her so she isn’t so scared. You’re doing all the right things.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
Thank you :) I hope so too.

This is her, during one of the rare moments where her eyes softened:

IMG_6695.jpg

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
She is adorable. Is she laying on one of the pillows from the Guinea Pig Market? I have the red, yellow and green pillows. My pigs use them as a little step to get into their kitchen area that I also purchased from the market.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
I got it off of Mercari.

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
Final update:

Bella is finally starting to show signs in her eyes of losing that fear and having softer expressions. She bubbles a lot now when held, and the funniest thing I saw her do to her friend is rumplestrut and mid-way through popcorn everywhere. I think she'll be ok now.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely fantastic news, [MENTION=45816]Rynn21[/MENTION] !!!! She just needed time, patience and a lot of love from her new family.

I'd love to hear updates on her from time to time, if you don't mind? We LOVE good news here!

Rynn21

Cavy Slave
Sure thing :) I will be posting a Xmas shoot of my piggies when I have time to take the pics.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Oh good, such wonderful news!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.