Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Lettuce

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just curious. Why isn't there a concern for lettuce high vitamin A content? I never looked it up but red, green, butter leafs have a lot of A in them, and I give a decent amount daily since that is 1 of the very few vegs they'll eat. Anyone know?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're not that high compared to kale and spinach. I wouldn't worry about it.

Artista

Cavy Slave

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only animal-sources (meat sources) of vit A can build up to dangerous levels. Plant-based sources of vit A are chemically different and processed by the body differently and they can't build to the same toxic levels. I'll try to find an explanation and post it later.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only animal-sources (meat sources) of vit A can build up to dangerous levels. Plant-based sources of vit A are chemically different and processed by the body differently and they can't build to the same toxic levels. I'll try to find an explanation and post it later.

Us humans can have too much vit A as well as gps....

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Yes, but see, according to the articles, we only store vit A compounds that come from meat, such as organ meats. The vit A compounds that come from plants are different compounds, and the body doesn't store them. They are only converted into vitamin A as needed and the rest is excreted. You can't overdose on vitamin A compounds from plant sources, only meat sources.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.