Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Bianka Bella medical concerns thread

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Weight loss.... concern?
When I got her at 3 weeks a week ago she weighed 318 gm. A week later, 293 gm. She eats fine, drinks through her water faster than Bella Rose, loves the veggies she gets. She's chatty and does zoomies and sometimes popcorn in the evenings. I know for adults we don't want to see weight loss. But for a baby now a month old, is this problematic? I plan on weekly weighings.

I have placed her pellet bowl in her house. If I make a move out here, she bolts. Some hay by her house and in too..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Were both weighings done on the same scale? At the same time of day? If so, I'd double check the second one and make sure it's accurate before I worried about anything. If not, I'd do daily or every other day weighings for a while and see what's going on. She definitely shouldn't be losing weight.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Were both weighings done on the same scale? At the same time of day? If so, I'd double check the second one and make sure it's accurate before I worried about anything. If not, I'd do daily or every other day weighings for a while and see what's going on. She definitely shouldn't be losing weight.

Yes, same scale. In am.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I made a new gp physical appt with Bella Rose exotic vet. Aug 20. If it keeps going down then will take for an additional fee emergency work in before. Tech asked vet if concerning. I saw on gynea lynx up to an ounce loss is ok but that's for adults. Just weird that she is far from sickly and is completely normal in action. Hopefully it is just her settling in from being weened from mom.

Vet said to weigh her same time daily. If see declines then call and will be worked in. They are closed on Sundays so hopefully if something is up it won't be on a Sunday!

Weighed her again, 290 gm. No more weighing today.....

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no point in weighing her multiple times per day. The weights will vary according to what she's eaten/drunk/pooped/peed, and you won't know how much of it is pig. The only way to get a relatively accurate weight is to do it at the same time of day, preferably in the morning before breakfast, and track it over time.

My guess is that the initial weight was either wrong, or that she'd eaten before she was weighed.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't be worried. I've had little ones lose small amounts of weight when coming home before.

A few days of not eating that well because they are nervous/adjusting to a new diet and home, plus actually having an appropriate sized cage to run and move in all can attribute to a dip. That in combination with fluctuations from food/fluids could easily explain the loss you are seeing.

Artista

Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't be worried. I've had little ones lose small amounts of weight when coming home before.

A few days of not eating that well because they are nervous/adjusting to a new diet and home, plus actually having an appropriate sized cage to run and move in all can attribute to a dip. That in combination with fluctuations from food/fluids could easily explain the loss you are seeing.

She does zoomies more than once a day. Definitely exercising this past week. She's a happy baby for sure.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Even weighing same time every day doesn't guarantee either her stomach and or bowels, bladder, are empty or full.
Today is 295 gm.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Ok, so the above is Bianka. Weight is fine and gaining now. 593 gm 10 weeks. So she's fine.

Bella is different story. Since her latest update got closed and there are no Bella Rose threads I can post to, here is where to find her latest. If I can't do this either then I give up. Spent too much time with no guidance. Individuals can pm me anytime for updates on my girls. I get email notifications for emails.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/123510-Bella-Rose-latest

Artista

Cavy Slave
Bianka 8 to 10 weeks..

20200910_184021.jpg
20200905_073020.jpg
20200910_215857.jpg
20200823_081059.jpg

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Bianka has such a beautiful hair coat and unique coloring. I love the last picture of her just sitting there and looking directly into the camera. She has the sweetest looking face.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Bianka has such a beautiful hair coat and unique coloring. I love the last picture of her just sitting there and looking directly into the camera. She has the sweetest looking face.

Thanks! She's a coronet, has the crest of the crested gp and the ling hair of the silkie. She's the friendliest active gp I've had. She's quite a character!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She is most definitely a pretty little thing....... But she has trouble written all over that sweet, innocent looking face!

Artista

Cavy Slave
She is most definitely a pretty little thing....... But she has trouble written all over that sweet, innocent looking face!

Ha! She is a cute terror! I have pee fleece pads all over on top of her fleece flippers and she tunnels under them. She zooms and popcorns and she's like me a night person. Bella is pretty sedate. Once in awhile zoomies. Since Bella is in an endless hormonal thing, making that noise and going after my hand, I'm thinking to keep them separate. It's harrassment. If it was normal time frame then that's one thing. Bianka will be doing that too at some point. But it has to be 2 months of daily trying to shew her away from climbing on my arm. Bianka is literally a foot in front of me in a 2 x 3 cc and is a very happy girl. I'm taking them both to their vet oct 14. Pretty sure this never ending hormonal behavior is from the cysts she has. She's 3 yo so I'll be inquiring about the injections v surgery which if surgery, I would do before she's 4 yo. She turned 3 last mo.

Wish I had a great camera phone. The colors on her really pop. The pics don't do her or bella justice.

Last edited:

Artista

Cavy Slave
My social media profile pic..
20200911_115943.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave
Crappy camera, blurry, but Bianka's flowing hair.
20200920_141452.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Such a little cutie!

Artista

Cavy Slave
So both bella and bianka are insured through nationwide effective Oct 5. No preexisting conditions for both. First they told me bella, 3 yo, needs a check since last seen was over a year ago. They need a recent medical record. So she saw a vet and got the all clear. Cost me $84 to just do a physical. An hour later I get an email saying bella is approved as well, no preexisting conditions. I'm thrilled but too bad you didn't send me that info the day before. I have her cleared medical record but I'm out $84.

They have their own policy. Each, $100 deductible, $30 a mo each, 90% reimbursement with no cap. Very friendly customer service and helpful. I'm more than pleased. So both of them are going to their vet on Oct 14 for routine exams. It's now covered along with neuters and spays. These are very new additions for gps.

Artista

Cavy Slave
Bella still not eating much veggies. At least she downs lettuce and radicchio. Bianka loves and eats everything.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very, very glad you have coverage for your little ladies. I really wish we had something like this in Canada. I really spent a lot of money with Punkin and Scooter. They were worth every nickel and I would do it again in a heartbeat but this sure would have helped.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.