Thread: Carrier ideas for 3 pigs?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Carrier ideas for 3 pigs?

Hello everyone! I'm pretty big into the prepping community. Unfortunately, I haven't really spent too much time in hurricane season prep (mostly been into isolation prep since moving last year and COVID). Does anyone have any recommendations for carriers that can fit 3 pigs? I realize that I will need 1 hand free for documents and other essentials. I am sorry if this was stickied or mentioned somewhere, I only noticed a thread on air travel in general.

Best wishes!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,345 Rec'd/5,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    2052 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3945 Post(s)

Re: Carrier ideas for 3 pigs?

It depends on your pigs. If they won't kill each other in a small space, a dog crate works well. If they don't get along well in small spaces, you may need two or even three carriers. In that case, a cat carrier will do.

But if it's only hurricanes you're worried about, you'll have time to move things. There's nothing unexpected about a hurricane -- you know it's coming, you know when it's coming, and you know pretty much where it's coming. I live on the Texas coast, and in the absence of any need to leave early, I wait until all the traffic is out of the way and then leave.

How close are you to the coast?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I have 2 who get along in very small spaces (they previously shared a tiny pestered cage before I adopted them). I have a 3rd who sometimes gets into fights with one of the 2 after prolonged periods of time in a small space, but they do fine for a little while. I live in New York and do not have a car, so I have often had to use a carrer plus a cart on public transportation to get places. A carrier that is big enough would be good for general

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Sorry, seems that I got cut off. I was looking for a carrier that would be good for grabbing in a hurry such as with fires or something else as well. General use.

Thanks
    Thanks
    723 Rec'd/624 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

I have a hard plastic dog carrier that opens on the front and also has an opening on the top. I keep it right by my pig's cage just for the reason that you listed. Since I don't know your pigs I can't say for sure, but I would imagine if you had to place the three of them in a carrier in an emergency situation they would be scared and probably would cuddle together. I just measured my carrier and it is 21" in length and 13" high. It's not too heavy and it has an easy to carry handle. I only have two pigs so this particular carrier might be a little small for 3 pigs. You might want to look for one that is just a little bit larger.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    564 Rec'd/433 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)

I have 2 of these in case 1 is ill and the other seems fine, for going to the vet....to keep them separate in case. I always use the top. Much easier to put gps in and take out. I have both in 19". Bella has pink, Bianka, white.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0062...age&th=1&psc=1

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice, guys! I wasn't sure if I should be looking at hard plastic carriers initially due to fears about their paws being stuck in the grates on the door but I'm going to definitely look into them since they seem well received.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    564 Rec'd/433 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    339 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I wasn't sure if I should be looking at hard plastic carriers initially due to fears about their paws being stuck in the grates on the door but I'm going to definitely look into them since they seem well received.
    They are much easier to clean than a soft one too.

User Tag List