Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Durian's med thread

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I weighed Durian this morning and he weighs 57g.He’s walking more and faster,he’s eating more solid food,much more than yesterday.I got some clean fresh grass from my grandma’s garden,he loves it!
When do you think I should put him back in with the others?He’ll eat more solid food if he’s in there with them,but I don’t want him to be stepped on and his recovery to be reversed like yesterday.And when do you think he can be rehomed?I think I’ll give him up for adoption later than the other pups.But I’d like to know exactly when.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I am so happy to hear that Durian is doing better. Since I've been following your posts from before he was born I feel like I know him. I've been cheering him along with every little improvement that he makes.

I'm going to leave your questions about putting him in with the others for someone who is more knowledgeable about young pups. I've followed the ups and downs of many of the member's guinea pigs throughout my time on the forum and each one has touched my heart. Durian has definitely left his mark.

I wish only the best for him, and of course that includes all of your babies.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Little Durian didn’t make it.He passed at 4:04pm (local time),28/8/20.
At the time I posted my question about when to put him in with the others,I have already put him in the cage with others,because his appetite increased greatly when he was there.That was yesterday (27/8) evening.This morning,I came to the cage to feed the pigs,he was completely alright!He even walked more and squeaked louder!He gained weight!I thought I made the right decision.I came there two times more to feed him,and he was ok.
Things didn’t go as well as I and you all thought.
The fourth time I came down to feed Durian,I saw him with legs up in the air,under Chocolate’s body.Well,he did get knocked out like that in the past,but he could stand up immediately.That time,it was different.He looked very...lifeless.I knew something was wrong so I lifted Chocolate up to see him.
My heart sank.
He was lying on his side,with his eyes and mouth WIDE open,twitching limbs,and turned neck.I panicked and rushed to prepare Critical Care for him,but then I realized it’s over.It’s too late.I couldn’t do anything to save him.The only thing I could do then was making his death more peaceful.
I took him to the pasture he gazed on yesterday,placed him there.I took my phone and turned on music that relax guinea pigs.Then,I sat there,flashbacking about all the time we’ve spent together and wishing him luck,with Chocolate in my hand.He was still struggling and twitching.There were times he tried to munch on the grass,or that’s what I thought;he looked like he still was fighting for his life.I couldn’t do anything!All I did was watch him die,and cry.He was only 12 days old...He still had his whole life ahead of him!He deserves better than dying so painfully.If only I hadn’t put him back in with the others.If only I come there sooner.If only this never happened...It’s all my fault.He took his last breath soon later.His suffering had ended and he could finally roam free under the Rainbow Bridge.
Durian,I’m sorry.I wish I took you to the vet sooner.I wish I let you and your mom live in one cage alone so no one could step on you.Now you’re in a better place.Please forgive me,my best wasn’t enough to save you.I’m sorry.

Attachments

24D77C26-ABFA-4A49-AD35-57F8ED4AEBFB.jpg 94407077-DE27-4401-A274-E2773635E5AC.jpg C6EAA291-6558-467B-9319-42465234F36A.jpg 99CD3CDB-6969-4FF5-8EF9-DE406FF8064F.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@peanny77, I am so, so sorry. You put everything you had into making him well and giving him the absolute best start in life he could have.

Durian didn't have the best start and in truth, whatever was wrong with him may have given you false hope that sometimes he appeared to be doing so well. What I DO know is the effort you put in to make sure he had every opportunity to thrive is admirable.

Don't beat yourself up over what may, or may not have happened. Just remember this: It may only have been 12 days to you, but to him it was his entire life. And he got so much love, attention and care in those 12 days I'm sure his heart was full.

Rest in peace, Durian. You were loved very much right from the start.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] said.

Very often, when a pup has such a rocky start, there are internal abnormalities that just aren't compatible with life. But you gave him the best chance possible. RIP, little Durian.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge, baby Durian! :love:

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I can't even begin to find the words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I admit when I read your last post about Durian I cried a few tears. We were all pulling for him, but like [MENTION=35161]Guinea Pig Papa[/MENTION] said, it was very likely that he had something else going on. I know you feel that he didn't have anywhere near enough time with you but that time he did have was spent in the most loving and caring way. You gave him more attention in those 12 days than some piggies have their whole lives.

Please do not beat yourself up. You did everything that was humanly possible for him. I hope it gives you peace to know that your precious Durian touched our lives and left his memory in our hearts.

May his beautiful spirit Rest In Peace.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I'm so, so sorry you lost Durian. Everyone before me put how we all feel for you so well. I know how it feels, we tried to save a baby rat similar to your story with Durian, and he didn't make it either.... I believe they both had internal problems that weren't fixable, if it's any comfort...

You did amazing and loved him so much, he was beautiful piggy that knew that every second of his little life. Maybe he taught you skills that will save other piggies lives in the future, whether you save them yourself, or share your advice and expierance to allow other people to.

I always think of this quote: "do not sit at my grave and cry/ I am not there/I did not die" (it's a part of a longer poem.) Run and play at the rainbow bridge, Durian--- until you meet him again :love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.