Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Durian's med thread

peanny77

Cavy Slave
It could very well be that Durian was in a poor position in his mothers womb, and that his leg was in a bad place for quite some time and it has taken a little bit being out in the world for it to strengthen and straighten. If that's the case it may take more time for it to develop.
I remember that he was OK in his first 2 days of life.I realized he was SIGNIFICANTLY weaker on day 3.That’s when he’s at his worst:eyes nearly closed,heavy breathing,can’t move,can’t nurse,can’t even STAND.I thought he couldn’t make it.Today is day 7 and he’s recovering well.@Soecara also said he might have birth defects.This is getting really confusing,I’m gonna take him to the vet once he gets strong enough.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whatever it is, the work you've put into his recovery is admirable. He's doing much better because of your care and there is nothing confusing about that.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
The scale has arrived!Durian actually weighs 55g,not 40g.That’s the same as 2 of Peanut’s 4 day old pups.His siblings are 68 and 63.Peanut’s other pup is 57.Turned out he isn’t the smallest pup.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
An update on Durian’s recovery.He has become the loudest pup,now he squeaks VERY loudly during feeding sessions.He’s walking even faster,withOUT any instability.He can compete with other pups for nursing now.Well,he’s still nursing a lot and doesn’t care much about solid food,so does anyone have ways to encourage him to eat solid food?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might take him out of the cage for a bit to let him eat alone. But that may backfire. Guinea pigs usually think the best food available is what's in another pig's mouth!

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I have tried that,but he only ate a teeny tiny amout of it and squeak for Mom.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
An update on Durian’s recovery.He has become the loudest pup,now he squeaks VERY loudly during feeding sessions.He’s walking even faster,withOUT any instability.He can compete with other pups for nursing now.Well,he’s still nursing a lot and doesn’t care much about solid food,so does anyone have ways to encourage him to eat solid food?
Also,he started to turn around and nibble my fingers when he sees the syringe.He’s not letting me force feed him anymore :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There is no "letting" to being fed. This is a small pig, you are a large human, and there's no option for him to refuse. He'll think you're killing him, but you're not. You're saving his life by making sure he gets enough nutrients and that his GI tract keeps moving. If you want to lose him, then let him be the one to say whether he eats or not.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig for more info.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
There is no "letting" to being fed. This is a small pig, you are a large human, and there's no option for him to refuse. He'll think you're killing him, but you're not. You're saving his life by making sure he gets enough nutrients and that his GI tract keeps moving. If you want to lose him, then let him be the one to say whether he eats or not.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/115000-Handfeeding-a-guinea-pig for more info.

I’m just joking,I know I have to keep doing this to keep him alive.What I mean is,he’s trying to escape from me,which is a good sign because that means he has the energy to squirm and bite.

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I think it's great that Durian is getting more feisty. That means he is gaining more strength. I know it makes it more difficult to syringe him his food but hopefully he will soon be completely eating on his own. I wish that little guy could understand how much you've done for him. You never gave up on him and he also fought to keep on surviving.

I've come to this forum everyday to see a report on him. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we all kept sending him good wishes and lots of strength. He's one little pig whose story is now known around the world.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Thank you [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION].

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Today,I have put Durian and Peanut back in with the others.Durian has eaten more solid food and can compete for nursing.He’s also walking more.He got stepped on a few times though,but the other pups did get stepped on as well so I’m not too concerned about that.And yes,he still perfers nursing to solid food and isn’t as active as the other pups.
He has gained 3 grams;today he weighs 58g.His siblings are now 72 and 69.Is it ok if pups only gain a few grams per day? One of Peanut’s pups didn’t gain weight,but still healthy.I’ll keep an eye on him.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Only gaining a few grams isn't optimal, but gaining is always better than losing. As long as his weight is going in the right direction, there's no need to worry about it.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
When do pups gain weight the most rapidly?Chocolate’s pups are 9 days old and Peanut’s are 6 days old

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Each pup will gain individually, some quicker than others. I had two pups where one was at least 100 grams heavier than the other and gained much more rapidly than his brother and they too were littlemates. Scooter stayed around 1450 grams full grown, where Punkin was anywhere from 1550-1600 when they were healthy. They will start to gain weight noticeably very soon.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Durian’s recovery has reversed today...It’s because I put him back in with the others.This morning I found him freezing in one place,no squeaking,not much walking and eyes slightly closed.It’s my fault.I separated him again and syringe feed him.Hoping he’ll recover again.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh no. Please keep us updated. Fingers are crossed for little Durian.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Thanks goodness.After being given extra CC,Durian has recovered again.What a relief.He’s in another cage with Chocolate now.
After his recovery,I took them all to a pasture.I was supervising all the time to make sure Jackfruit didn’t mount the sows.Everyone was happy and was popcorning and zooming around,even laid down and yawned.Durian,however,wasn’t popcorning,zooming and didn’t eat much grass.There were times when everyone was eating but he wasn’t.When others were running around,he was sitting there doing nothing but cleaning himself.He couldn’t catch up when they popcorned and zoomed,probably because of that wonky leg and he doesn’t have as much energy.But when he saw an adult pig not too far away from him,he walked to that pig,quite quickly.He could follow them when they got tired out and slowed down a bit.Of course,he was munching on grass too,but stops after a short while.I’m going to weigh them.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Oh no,all of them lost 1-2 grams.I weighed them at noon in the previous 2 days but in the late afternoon today.I guess I should weigh them at the same time everyday,maybe in the morning when they haven’t had food?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh no,all of them lost 1-2 grams.I weighed them at noon in the previous 2 days but in the late afternoon today.I guess I should weigh them at the same time everyday,maybe in the morning when they haven’t had food?

Yes. In order to get an accurate weight, weigh them all first thing in the morning before you've given them any treats or anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.