Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Durian's med thread

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Re: My 2 years old guinea pig is probably pregnant!

No,I can’t find unflavored pedialyte.All that’s available are flavored kinds.
I have stopped giving him glucose.
Here he is,compaired to his healthy sister.His fur is wet because of the pellet slurry.

Attachments

AFEE7A32-DDE5-4361-8E0B-D4C2DC6AD1EC.jpg 70B7E47D-F106-483A-ACAF-6645B17D3937.jpg 7C7400FF-89B3-49CB-AD36-F278EEEAFD3A.jpg

Kelsie

Cavy Slave

You are doing such an amazing job with this little guy. I know in an earlier post you said that you are a minor. I have to give you so much credit for being so responsible for someone who is young. Your parents did a good job in raising you.

I think all of your piggies are really beautiful. It's so sad that some in your country seem to disregard the American Shorthair piggies. I have always had a special love for that breed. All of my piggies have been AS.

I wish you the very best with your little guy. I will keep him in my thoughts.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

He’s doing better again!He could squeak more than yesterday and as loud as a healthy pup now!And,he IS eating solid food!I gave him a small piece of water spinach and he ate it right away,and more than I thought.He is trying to get away from the syringe too.Haha.He’s weak but he’s a little fighter.I had my dad order the 55g of CC after a lot of begging.And he only needs 1.8g of it everyday according to my calculations.I’ll find a scale later I guess,but asap.
I think the only real problem with him is his injuried leg.He is the smallest of the 6 pups,so he got stepped on and had his leg injuried,so he couldn’t compete with his siblings to nurse,so he became this weak.But @Soecara said there maybe some more things going on with him than just that,so pls tell me what it could be?I’m syringe feeding him until he gets strong enough for a vet trip.
Shall I keep giving him the pellet slurry after getting the CC?I can make a full bowl of it with a few pellets and warm water.By the way,Daddy loves it,whenever I feed his son,he squeaks and look at me with those cute eyes.He licks the syringe like crazy when I give him a bit.Silly lil boy!
When can the pups be rehomed?I can’t raise all of them.Don’t worry,I’m never gonna give them to breeders,pet shops or people who are intending to feed them to snakes.
I think this thread needs to be renamed...It’s not about a 2yo pregnant sow anymore,it’s about a weak pup that needs special care.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

What's his name? We can make this his medical thread.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

What's his name? We can make this his medical thread.
His name is Durian.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the world, Durian! Keep fighting little guy!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Sometimes pups can have internal defects, they can affect a number of things like their ability to digest food, or their organs, or their nervous system. I know you said you got Chocolate and Jackfruit from the same place, so they could be related. Inbreeding increases the odds of a birth defect occurring.

Now I can't say for certain the pup does have a birth defect, I'm not a vet, I can't run tests, I can't see the pup in person. I can however tell from what you have said that the pup does have a medical issue going on, and it sounds like more than just an injured leg.

Even if it is the case of a potential birth defect that doesn't mean he can't pull through and live, and you are doing a great job for this little guy.

Pups can be rehomed after they are weaned. You need to separate off any male pup from the mothers at 3 weeks old. Usually I wait a few days just to make sure they are eating and drinking well before I rehome them, so they usually go to their new home around 3.5-4 weeks old. I tend to leave the girls in with their mother so I will sometimes wait until I don't see them suckling anymore (around 6 weeks) unless I have someone very interested in a girl (and already own one, or are getting two) before that and I have a spare cage to separate them from their mother, once again to make sure they are able to eat well on their own. I have gotten a baby boar from someone else at exactly 3 weeks old, and when I picked him up he was taken straight from the cage with mum, it wasn't an issue and he was fine, but I still would prefer to keep them a couple days after separating just for my own peace of mind.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Sometimes pups can have internal defects, they can affect a number of things like their ability to digest food, or their organs, or their nervous system. I know you said you got Chocolate and Jackfruit from the same place, so they could be related. Inbreeding increases the odds of a birth defect occurring.

Now I can't say for certain the pup does have a birth defect, I'm not a vet, I can't run tests, I can't see the pup in person. I can however tell from what you have said that the pup does have a medical issue going on, and it sounds like more than just an injured leg.

I think that if Durian had a birth defect,Chocolate would refuse to feed him.But she’s licking and feeding him well.Peanut lets him nurse too.But only a vet can tell for sure.I’ll keep syringe feeding him till he’s strong enough to be taken to the vet.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
My dad told me Chocolate BIT Durian MANY times a day!I’m not sure if it’s true or not but to make sure Durian is safe,I removed Chocolate and put Peanut in his cage.Today there aren’t any changes in his heath.He’s still like that,when he walks,he just lift the injured leg up and down.He’s eating a bit of solid food,not very much.He can clean himself,but very slowly and weak.The CC will arrive soon.
I’m feeling really worried about him.I’ve read older threads about weak pups and most of them didn’t make it.I was thinking about rehoming the male pups,but what about Durian?He’s so weak and I don’t think anyone would take good care of him...I hope the CC will make him feel better so that he could popcorn and zoom like the other pups.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
More good news!Durian is standing like a normal pup now,no longer poking his nose onto the ground.He’s squeaking almost every time I take him out for syringe feeding and he actually became the second loudest pup.He’s walking normally,faster and more often!But still pretty slow and unstable.He is pooping and peeing normally and eating solid food but he’s still nursing almost all the time.
I’m so,very glad I didn’t just let him go when I realized he was weak that day.
The Oxbow CC has arrived!Is this the color of the CC?Just trying to make sure I bought the REAL CC.If it is real,did I mix it correctly?I think I kinda messed it up.

Attachments

A7332105-9AB2-4EC7-B571-2A616ED282BE.jpg F756E55A-63A1-4A0A-8FB9-3F28C53253F9.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The consistency can vary depending on how your pig needs to eat it. Because Durian is so tiny, I believe a thin mixture is probably appropriate here. This, however, is a little TOO thin.

Just be sure to give him small mouthfuls at a time so that he doesn't choke.

I am SO glad to hear he improves day by day. Just know that YOU are the reason he is improving. You're doing a fantastic job!

I was also thinking during all of this, that if Durian survives and thrives, you could house him with Jackfruit in a separate cage, and forego having Jackfruit neutered.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much.This is my first time preparing CC so I’m so clueless.I use a tiny 1ml syringe and give him small mouthfuls,as you said.Well,I don’t think Durian could handle his dad,he’s so dominant and would bite any male pig who gets near him...
Is Durian’s problem really is his leg?He walks normally,not dragging his leg everywhere.Maybe it has recovered?Or he didn’t have enough energy back then?
My mom have just ordered the scale for me.We can’t go anywhere during quarantine.
I hope that Simon will recover day by day just like lil Durian.You are very kind and help so many people with their pigs,but your own pigs are so,so unfortunate.Poor him and poor you.He’s a very sweet boy and deserves to be healthy and happy.You deserve to have a happy and peaceful life with the pigs;no worries,no stress,no pain.Fingers crossed for him as well!You helped me so much and I can’t do anything in return.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That looks like the right stuff, but why didn't it come in an Oxbow package? Mine always came in sacks.

Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa about making the mixture thin. You don't want it as thick as toothpaste, say, unless he likes it and will eat a glob of it off a spoon or a plate. You may have to keep diluting it a little, because it will thicken as it sits.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
Shops here don’t wanna sell them in the package,but devide them into small bags or bottles.This 55g bottle is the biggest quantity I can get.Annoying.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That looks like the right stuff, but why didn't it come in an Oxbow package? Mine always came in sacks.

It appears in Southeast Asia that specialty commodities like Critical Care for pets are repackaged and sold for more money in smaller quantities. It seems that kind of thing is typical in that part of the world.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
It appears in Southeast Asia that specialty commodities like Critical Care for pets are repackaged and sold for more money in smaller quantities. It seems that kind of thing is typical in that part of the world.
You’re so damn right.This annoys me so much.I’ve asked them about the whole bag of CC but they didn’t respond.There are even shops that sells CC in 10g packs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you very much.This is my first time preparing CC so I’m so clueless.I use a tiny 1ml syringe and give him small mouthfuls,as you said.Well,I don’t think Durian could handle his dad,he’s so dominant and would bite any male pig who gets near him...
Is Durian’s problem really is his leg?He walks normally,not dragging his leg everywhere.Maybe it has recovered?Or he didn’t have enough energy back then?
My mom have just ordered the scale for me.We can’t go anywhere during quarantine.
I hope that Simon will recover day by day just like lil Durian.You are very kind and help so many people with their pigs,but your own pigs are so,so unfortunate.Poor him and poor you.He’s a very sweet boy and deserves to be healthy and happy.You deserve to have a happy and peaceful life with the pigs;no worries,no stress,no pain.Fingers crossed for him as well!You helped me so much and I can’t do anything in return.

It could very well be that Durian was in a poor position in his mothers womb, and that his leg was in a bad place for quite some time and it has taken a little bit being out in the world for it to strengthen and straighten. If that's the case it may take more time for it to develop. Almost like when you sleep in a funny position and your arm or leg falls asleep and it takes a bit to shake it out. I'm just happy that he's improving.

I'm not here for anyone to do anything in return for me. I'm here because like everyone else here, I love my pigs. I love ALL pigs, so whatever I can do to help I will. This forum helped me tremendously when I first started asking questions so for me, sharing and helping just seems to be a natural thing to do.

ALL pigs deserve to be happy and healthy. Sadly that doesn't always happen, and it's true I've had a bit of a bad run. Not for lack of trying! I will continue to do what I have to do for my pigs because as far as I'm concerned they deserve no less.

peanny77

Cavy Slave
I think I’ll make DIY CC for later.I can’t buy CC in bulk so it’s sooo expensive.Does anyone have a recipe?
I’ll keep feeding him CC + pellet slurry,because that way,he’ll get enough nutrients and I don’t have to pay so much money for another bottle.
By the way, @bpatters,are you the only active admin?I see that there are other admins too but I’ve never seen them online since I joined the forum.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It would be almost impossible to duplicate CC. But your plan to mix pellets and CC is a good one. It helps if you soak the pellets a while before you try to mash them up.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think I’ll make DIY CC for later.I can’t buy CC in bulk so it’s sooo expensive.Does anyone have a recipe?
I’ll keep feeding him CC + pellet slurry,because that way,he’ll get enough nutrients and I don’t have to pay so much money for another bottle.
By the way, @bpatters,are you the only active admin?I see that there are other admins too but I’ve never seen them online since I joined the forum.

If all goes well, and I think it is, you shouldn't need the Critical Care for Durian much longer. It's always good to have some on hand but again, pellet slurry such as what you've been making will do if it's needed.

As soon as you have that scale, you'll have a MUCH better understanding of how well Durian is doing. If he's losing weight every day, he'll still need additional feedings. But if he's GAINING every day, it's better to let him try to eat on his own.

I would say once you have the scale, weigh Durian (and all the pups for that matter) every morning before breakfast. If all of their weights are going up every day, you're doing well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.