Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Durian's med thread

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Re: My 2 years old guinea pig is probably pregnant!

I am glad the moms are okay but feel sorry for the weak pup. Do you have pellets that could be mushed with water to syringe feed and separate him from the others?

Also, with that many together you will need to have a very large cage or the moms will get stressed and start biting the young ones.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I do have pellets and I have tried to syringe feed him all night long,but he doesn’t seem to recover,even getting worse.I have put Chocolate and him in their own cage,but he won’t nurse on her.He was born weaker and smaller than his siblings.I don’t know if this makes sense or not,but I got Chocolate and Jackfruit (the boar who fathered the pups,that I thought was a sow back then) at the same time and Jackfruit was clearly smaller and weaker than Chocolate (they’re the same age).Luckily,he was a bit older at that time and I took care of him properly so he had survived.The weak pup has his characteristics so maybe that’s why he is weaker? His siblings has Chocolate’s characteristics.
Jackfruit:

Attachments

7F74F45F-B3EB-475F-AF2B-CB1E147A70B1.jpg

peanny77

Cavy Slave

This is the weak pup.Is there any way I can post a vid?

Attachments

10CB7447-33D4-47EF-908C-B1E25AD09833.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Fingers are crossed for the little guy. I know you're doing all you can.

You can publish the video to YouTube, and link it here. That's the only way I know how.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

OH YES!!!He (weak pup) is doing better!Now he can squeak (not often,but quite loud) and walk to his mom (slowly) to nurse properly!Thanks goodness...I thought he won’t recover but he did!I put him and mom in a smaller cage so that he could nurse without competition.There are still times that he is stepped on,he doesn’t latch on when mom is standing still and mom runs away when he tries to nurse.He still is much weaker than the other 5 though...but I’m glad he got better.I’m feeding him glucose amd mushed pellets through a syringe.Shall I get crit care?It’s quite expensive here and I don’t know if I could convince my dad to order it for me,even if I pay for it.
The moms and the 5 other pups are thriving.Dad is waiting to be neutered.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

You can use the pellet slurry in a pinch, but yes, Critical Care is the best thing you can give him. If you can get it, I would say get it. It's always good to have around in an emergency situation.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I asked my dad to order it.He said:”Critical care?For guinea pigs?Come on,it’s just a baby guinea pig,not an expensive dog.Just let it go,that’s natural selection.You can’t make it recover,you can even kill it.”
I’m so offended.But I’ll continue convincing him.If I get the CC,how much to feed per day?I have to feed the mushed pellets to the pup once every 1-2 hrs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

There are instructions on the bag for feeding. Because he's a baby a bag will go quite a bit further. I don't have a bag in front of me to give you an exact amount but it's so much dry feed per day per kg of piggie weight.

Feeding him small amounts every 1-2 hours right now seems to be a good plan. Is he pooping or drinking at all? You did say he was up and around more and that's a good sign. I'm not too sure about the glucose, I would perhaps back that down to using it every other feeding or every three. Just use plain hot water to mix with the pellets and allow it to cool before feeding. You don't want to give him too much of the glucose.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I understand...Glucose is sugar and too much sugar is not good for him.Man,I need someway to convince my dad to order it.In Southeast Asia,parents are stricter than those in other areas.We have to be 18 to be able to shop online and make our own decisions.My dad is a teacher so he’s even stricter.Please tell me some ways to convince him!I don’t wanna lose the baby.
Actually,shops here don’t sell the entire bag;they devide it to small bags and bottles.The biggest quantity I could find is a 155g bottle.If I don’t have the bag,I don’t have the instructions!Please give me a pic.
He is pooping and nursing from mom.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It's not easy to take a pic of the bag, as it's a reflective silver. I'll write verbatim here what it says on the bag.

Directions for use
Shake well before using.

Herbivorous mammals: 3 Tbsp*of dry product per kg of body weight daily.

Divide dry product into 4-6 feedings unless specified by your veterinarian. Prepare fresh at each feeding. Mix 1 part Critical Care with 2 parts warm water. The volume of water may be adjusted depending on feeding method.

*1 Tbsp is equal to approximately 9 grams. Amounts are general guidelines.

A small bag of Critical Care is also 141 grams. A large bag of Critical Care is 454 grams.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I guess my next question would be, do you have a digital kitchen scale? If not, you need one ASAP. One that measures in grams. Theyre relatively inexpensive.

The only way you'll know for sure if you're succeeding in treating him is if he is gaining weight. Also, you really must weight them all once a week, preferably at breakfast time before they've eaten to have a grasp of their general wellness. Guinea pigs are prey animals and as such, hide their illnesses extremely well, oftentimes to the point that it's too late to save them. Monitoring their weight is the absolute best way to ensure their overall health.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I only have a mechanical scale that doesn’t work well on the pups.I’ll get one.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

It sounds to me like he's responding to what you're doing, and is improving. Keep doing what you're doing and don't let anyone discourage you.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Wait,the biggest quantity of CC I could get is 55g not 155g.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

That IS a small amount, but better than nothing. If he truly just does need a little help getting a start in life for a few days that would be more than adequate. And if he's able to eat the pellet slurry, it will help accomplish the same thing. The critical care has more nutrients and whatnot added to help aid in recovery.

peanny77

Cavy Slave

I don’t know if you all know what breed are my piggies.They’re basically American short haired pigs,but the breed’s quality is drastically decreased due to uncontrolled breeding of related pigs.This breed is common where I live and are sold for very cheap prices.They’re WAY smaller than your pigs,and maybe not as beautiful.Normal pups weigh 60-120g at birth,but this breed’s pups are only weigh about 40g.Adult pigs can only reach 500-700g;rarely 1kg.
The weak pup is only that heavy.The others has that weight and are still healthy.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

There's no such thing as a piggie that isn't beautiful. Pigs are different all over the world, and even in the same household.

All that really means in your situation, is that less Critical Care would be required to maintain a healthy diet. Simple division is all that would be necessary to calculate the amount of food necessary for him in a day.

40 grams is a tiny little guy. Just take great care in syringe feeding him if that's what you're doing, and definitely don't overfeed.

As I said, if he IS eating and drinking and pooping especially, you're doing something right.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave

I'm so happy little weak pup is doing better! I haven't had any help I could offer before now, but I have been following to see how everyone was doing when I saw their adorable pictures! You're doing awesome and cheers to you, they're so pretty and every little life is precious...We've saved many animals and pets, and I don't believe any are "just" a guinea pig/finch/rat etc :love:

I think I can help you with their breeds/patterns! From what I've seen in the pictures, they all look like American breed. Mom, dad, and one baby look like they have either a Tortoise Shell and White or Tricolor pattern. Two babies have near perfect Bicolor patterns. And the little weak pup looks like he has a Harlequin mix pattern ( same as one of my piggies :) )

I don't believe any of their patterns or breed have specific weaknesses. I know Roan guinea pigs can have genetic problems, along with Satins and I think Dalmatians. There's also certain all white piggies called "lethal whites" that have severe medical problems. But I don't think your piggies look anything like any of them.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave

I've been meaning to wish you the best with your little guy and to say that I think you are doing a wonderful job with him! :love:

I would urge you NOT to feed him glucose. Instead, I'm confident that you can find unflavored Pedialyte which will provide needed electrolytes. Buy the generic brand which will be more economical.....and once again, the unflavored. Mix the Critical Care with the pedialyte instead of water to provide additional nourishment. With regard to mixing it, mix it fresh for every feeding. The CC will immediately begin to thicken so have it a bit loose/soupy to start as you don't want it too thick so as to cause difficulty in swallowing.

I don't know how you are mixing it, but I would probably start with a TBSP and adequate warm water or pedialyte and see how much and to what degree it expands. Then adjust up or down from there.

You can do this! :cool:

peanny77

Cavy Slave

Today when I syringe feed the weak pup,he tried to escape which is a good sign.He’s trying to eat solid food now,but not much as he’s still weak and hungry mom is stealing everything.She seems to take good care of him so he is getting better. But he has this weird posture when I handle him:his head is so low that his nose touches my palm,the other pups have their heads up in the air.I don’t wanna handle him again after syringe feeding so I’ll post a pic later.
Unfortunately,because this breed is considered “American breed but don’t meet the requirements to be a beautiful pig” and its low price,not many people appreciate their lives.Some of them never had any hay in their entire life and bred uncontrollably until the sow dies.Peanut comes from a horrible place with wire and rats all over.Her parents and siblings had died of stress and hunger.The breeder doesn’t even feed them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.