Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding advice on bonding young female piggies

clefairy

Cavy Slave
hello!

i bought a 3month old female piggie and a 3 week old female piggie separately about four days ago. i was planning on keeping them apart until after the cursory first check-up with the vet on the 28th (two days from now) , but as i was clearing out my 3 week old's cage she scampered over to the metal grid dividing the two enclosures and ended up
- talking
-sniffing
- and brushing faces (?) with my 3 month old female piggie. she also scooted her bum so it was parallel to the older piggie, if that makes sense.

i ended up putting a solid divider between the two but was wondering if this is something i should be worried about. i just want them to get along :(

any advice is super appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Quarantine should be three weeks in a separate room to keep you from having double vet bills if they both get sick. Yours aren't quarantined at all. If you don't plan on widely separating them, you might as well go ahead and introduce them and put them together. See https://guinealynx.info/introductions.html for instructions on how to do it.

But before you do that, turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're both female. If not, don't put them together.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If they have already had direct contact through the bars of a cage, I would go ahead and introduce them. The purpose of quarantine with new pigs is to keep them 100% separate in different rooms. If the new pig has anything contagious your pig has now already been exposed.

I wouldn't imagine you'll have any difficulty introducing pigs this young. Babies almost always do well with new pigs. Make sure your cage is at the absolute bare minimum 8 square feet. Usually with introductions you have them in a large neutral floor space for many hours and then transfer them to their permanent cage. However, with babies this young I would just introduce them in the cage, granted it's large enough. Remove all the hides, give them lots of hay and fresh veggies then plop them in and keep watch of them.

clefairy

Cavy Slave
okay, thank you! i'm having a little trouble determining one of my piggies gender so i'm just going to introduce them after the vet visit and after i know that they are for sure both ladies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.