Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello! i've just brought two different baby guinea pigs home- bonding advice?

clefairy

Cavy Slave
hi! i'm clair from western canada!

i brought two female guinea pigs home two days ago from separate sellers. one (tubby) is three weeks old, and the other (toast) is three months old. they're both american pigs. i'm quarantining them from each other until their vet check up appointment on tuesday, and was just wondering what my odds are of having these two gals get along! i've owned a guinea pig before but have never bonded separate piggies together before. any advice is greatly appreciated!

( p.s i have a large, separated enclosure set up temporarily but have ordered the largest c&c cage possible. (

cheers! <3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're babies, they'll be fine. Unless they're males, and then you'll have some squabbles when they reach puberty.

But do, right now, turn them both over and compare their private parts to make sure they're both the same sex. Don't take anyone else's word for it, not even the vet's. We've had many a pregnant "male" on this board, and many a "sow" that got their cagemate pregnant.

Be sure you're seeing an exotic vet. Small animal vet means dogs and cats, not exotic pets, and many of them know little or nothing about guinea pigs. It's well worth your time and money to find a good exotic vet.

clefairy

Cavy Slave
okay, thanks so much! i checked- they're definitely female! tubby was a little harder to figure out, because she's so young, but i'm pretty positive. i checked a bunch of clinics and found a place that has one vet that specializes in guinea pigs! hopefully all is well and my babies can finally meet.

have a good day/night! thank u so so much <3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.