Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not new, but meet new baby girl

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Almost 3 years ago when Mooshy died my uncle got me Bella Rose. 3 week old abby. Today my uncle calls saying he's rescued a baby gp he found too cute and knew I'd give her a good home. Great. And by rescue it was petco. So I pulled out a 2 x 3 cc cage I had kept and set it up. He dropped her off and no way was I going to refuse. So she sat with me for an hour. I had parsley and kale in hand which she ate some so that's good. Pulled out a 2 door square igloo so she can go feel safe, sleep and adjust. Like Bella, Bianca never made it to the floor. At least I'm grateful to start with her early with proper care. Shes in the same room as us. She's right in front of me on the floor. I put orchard grass hay close to the igloo, full bowl of timothy hay pellets off the second door and water bottle close.
I'm not buting alfalfa stuff. If I recall correctly, it's the calcium we're after and kale and parsley will take care of that.

She's zoned out. Been home only 3 hours now after a long day. Didn't touch hay when I put it under her nose like she did parsley and kale but not going to push it. Bella was easy. I hope this one won't be a I don't want hay. I've been lucky so far!

Meet Bianca Bella! Bella Rose real name is Isabella Rose. It would be perfect if at some point she could go in with Bella. Not sure how that'd work since she's 3 yrs and Bianca is like 3 weeks. Bella is oblivious to her. I put her up by her cage and 0. She never reacts to noises of gps either. Advice welcome.
20200724_143506.jpg
20200724_132029.jpg
20200724_131959.jpg
20200724_143051.jpg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations, [MENTION=27627]Artista[/MENTION]! She's an adorable little fluff!

There's no reason why she can't go in with Bella. That of course depends on how introductions go, but if you remember Sly was 5 years old when Punkin and Scooter came home with me, and they were 3 weeks old. Sly was the best Papa Pig you could have ever seen!

Of course it's up to you, introductions can be stressful. But as far as age goes there's no reason why they can't be buddies!

Artista

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, [MENTION=27627]Artista[/MENTION]! She's an adorable little fluff!

There's no reason why she can't go in with Bella. That of course depends on how introductions go, but if you remember Sly was 5 years old when Punkin and Scooter came home with me, and they were 3 weeks old. Sly was the best Papa Pig you could have ever seen!

Of course it's up to you, introductions can be stressful. But as far as age goes there's no reason why they can't be buddies!

Good to know. So 3 week quarantine to make sure this one is fine? Then how to do intros? Thinking putting bella in biancas cage since itd be foreign to bella. Do visits like that daily for ?
I have no idea since I've always had 1.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should quarantine her for a few weeks, yes. Unless you're absolutely certain she's healthy. She'll likely get lonely, where Bella hasn't.

Don't do daily visits, you'll likely just confuse both of them. Once you're ready to do introductions, it'll either work or it won't and when it does work leave them together permanently.

Do you know where to find the bible on introductions?

Artista

Cavy Slave
You should quarantine her for a few weeks, yes. Unless you're absolutely certain she's healthy. She'll likely get lonely, where Bella hasn't.

Don't do daily visits, you'll likely just confuse both of them. Once you're ready to do introductions, it'll either work or it won't and when it does work leave them together permanently.

Do you know where to find the bible on introductions?

No. I guess in a few weeks I'll put her in with bella. Take out 1 tunnel and put igloo in there for her to escape. I don't have divider so it'd be bella seeing me hold her inches from bellas cage during this time. I'll post a photo of bellas cage....

Artista

Cavy Slave
Bella, 2 x 4 cc cage with hay dumped in the kichen as she likes..
20200724_154217.jpg
20200724_154159.jpg

Artista

Cavy Slave

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A bathtub can work in a pinch

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No no, an empty clean bathtub to run around in and meet each other :) Just some hay and water too

Artista

Cavy Slave
No no, an empty clean bathtub to run around in and meet each other :) Just some hay and water too

Oh put down a blanket in there with hay in the middle? And water bowl. For how long? Then that's it if they're fine that very day to put bianca in bella cage?

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Congratulations @Arista on your new fur baby and I can't believe how comfortable Bianca is with you already.

I've twice used the same introduction link that @GPP posted. The alpha, Felicia, of my current pair is 1 year old whereas the submissive one, Lily, is 4 years old. I really wanted Lily to be the alpha this go-round but unfortunately just being senior in age doesn't mean anything. I'm curious to see if Bella or Bianca will be the alpha.

I have an open floor plan which incorporates living room, dining room, and kitchen. The original cage was in the living room, I put Felicia's quarantine cage in the dining area, and introduced them in the kitchen, right next to the stove. Good to know that a bathtub is another option for intros.

Best of luck with the introduction!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely. All you need is a fairly large neutral space. I've heard of others using a bathtub in a pinch

Artista

Cavy Slave
Absolutely. All you need is a fairly large neutral space. I've heard of others using a bathtub in a pinch

Ok so for how long to be sure. Then right there she can placed in bellas cage? Thank God I'm home except for shopping!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no telling how long. It really depends on them. If, after a couple of hours they're getting along great, I would make sure Bella's cage is completely clean and doesn't smell like her at all. Then they should be ok to be together. A drop of vanilla on each nose and butt may help once they're in Bella's cage

SSLee

Cavy Slave
The length of time in the neutral area varies based on the behavior of your pigs, so you will have to monitor it. For the two intros I did, I left both pairs in the neutral area for 3-4 hours but your pair might be different. While Bella and Bianca are in the neutral area, you will be busy wiping down, with vinegar, and changing out Bella's cage so that it will no longer smell like Bella.

Artista

Cavy Slave
The length of time in the neutral area varies based on the behavior of your pigs, so you will have to monitor it. For the two intros I did, I left both pairs in the neutral area for 3-4 hours but your pair might be different. While Bella and Bianca are in the neutral area, you will be busy wiping down, with vinegar, and changing out Bella's cage so that it will no longer smell like Bella.

Not sure I can scrub down like that due to some physical limitations so whatever it is will have to do. Fleece flippers will be fresh.

Artista

Cavy Slave
So earlier bianca had some parsley and kale. I put her on me again and stuck a small pellet bowl under her nose. Saw her munching but can't say which. Hasn't found the water bottle so gave her some red leaf lettuce pieces and no problem there. I just gave bella her dinner of cuke, zucchini, tomato and endive. For bianca I choped up small pieces of some cuke and a baby yellow pepper. I put it in the igloo so she can warm up to it. I also jammed some hay in there.

Artista

Cavy Slave
There's no telling how long. It really depends on them. If, after a couple of hours they're getting along great, I would make sure Bella's cage is completely clean and doesn't smell like her at all. Then they should be ok to be together. A drop of vanilla on each nose and butt may help once they're in Bella's cage

I can't clean like that. So if it becomes a problem in not being bella smell free then I guess it's 2 cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.