Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Worried, need advice on skin condition

miss_marie

Cavy Slave
Hi đź‘‹

I have had my guinea pig, Kiwi, for about a month and a half now. Shortly after I got her we began having health issues, first ear mites then a fungal infection. I have taken her to the vet and treated her as recommended for all issues but, the fungus only seems to spread. It started out on her ear, moved her shoulder, saw the vet again, began treatment, then it showed up on her nose, and underbelly. Her ear is improving and her shoulder too, but I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle. The most serious thing my last guinea pig got was lice and I’m really worried about Kiwi. Does anyone have any advice in addition to the drops my vet gave me?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Fungal infections are difficult to treat, especially if there are other issues such as parasites, or high humidity in the summer. Here is a link to more information that may be helpful: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I have had succes against a fungal infection with Imaverol. You mix it with water to get the right concentration and you can bathe the pig in it, but I put it in spray bottle and got the pig rather wet, then I rubbed it in (while wearing gloves) making sure it got everywhere (take care around the eyes, mouth, nose). I let it sit for about ten minutes, making sure the piggie doesn’t get cold, and then I blowdried her.

I also used it to clean the cage with. (I threw out anything made of wood, fungal spores can settle in wood)

If I remember correctly you have to treat 3 to 4 times about 4 days apart.

miss_marie

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to sanitize the wooden toys? It feels like a waste to get rid of them since their brand new.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.