Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is it worse to have. your guinea pigs on the cooler or warmer side???

nahji_lania

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone and thank you for replying if you do. right now im in a pickle. I adopted my guinea pig last fall so this is my first summer with him. I just brought a thermometer and without my fan plugged in and my ceiling fan on it can get to apparently 88 degrees in my room with the fans on it may be around 80 I think, if I move into the basement, in the summer according to the thermometer its about 62 degrees.is that too cold for a guinea? if so does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them warm. if that's the temperature in July in my basement im worried it might get to cold for him in the winter, but I think it'll be easier to keep him warm than it will be too keep him cool. I found some pet safe heating pads online, I think they're called snuggle safe. what do u guys think I should do. unfortunately in my house I have to choose between the two extremes, hot or cold.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can die of heat stroke at around 85 degrees. Unless they're skinnies, they prefer cooler temperature to hotter ones. So the basement would be much better for them than the hotter temps.

You don't need heating pads, just a couple of hideys that are not much larger than the pigs -- their body heat in those hideys will keep them warm. You can throw a couple of pieces of fleece in the cage for them to snuggle in. They're just little balls of fat and fur, after all, so they cope very well with cooler temperatures.

nahji_lania

Cavy Slave
Thats good to know, thanks!! I've been able to tough out the heat because im not in my room all the time but he is so Id like to try and move to the basement before august. Thanks so much for your reply!!

nahji_lania

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can die of heat stroke at around 85 degrees. Unless they're skinnies, they prefer cooler temperature to hotter ones. So the basement would be much better for them than the hotter temps.

You don't need heating pads, just a couple of hideys that are not much larger than the pigs -- their body heat in those hideys will keep them warm. You can throw a couple of pieces of fleece in the cage for them to snuggle in. They're just little balls of fat and fur, after all, so they cope very well with cooler temperatures.

Thats good to know, thanks!! I've been able to tough out the heat because im not in my room all the time but he is so Id like to try and move to the basement before august. Thanks so much for your reply!!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
There's really no need to respond to a post and then respond again quoting what you are responding to. Just once is enough.

nahji_lania

Cavy Slave
Do you know how to delete post?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You can't delete your posts. Only the moderator can do that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.