Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Scared Rescues

Derby

Cavy Gazer
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forums and a new GP owner. I rescued 2 Male Guinea pigs that I am told are brothers. One is short haired and one is a skinny pig. Im at least the 3rd home these 2 boys have had. My vet estimates them at about 6 or 7 months old and healthy. I have them in a large C&C cage (2x5) with fleece lining. They have a large hidey they both can fit under as well as a smaller one. I've had them for a month. They're in a guest room so it's quiet. I keep a radio running low so they can hear people talking.
Here's the problem: they are in their hidey box all day. They come out to eat and go right back in. No running, popcorning, or exploring. I have a pig monitor in the room so I can keep track of them. I go in the room several times a day and talk softly to them. They will occasionally take food from my hand but it's rare. I'll pick them up and when I put them back down I hold them until they relax and let them walk away from my hands. It breaks my heart that they are so afraid. Any help is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Time. And patience. If you have both, you will be rewarded.

Guinea pigs are hardwired to be fearful animals. EVERYTHING wants to eat them. The more time you spend with them, the more they get used to you, the more yummy treats you offer, the better it will get.

Try covering part of their cage. Not just a hidey, but perhaps cover the back half of their cage with a blanket. They're afraid of the house eagles that they're SURE are circling overhead, looking for lunch.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
And catch them and turn them over and compare their private parts to make SURE they're both the same sex. We've had many a pregnant "male" on this forum. And many a sow impregnated by her "sister."

Derby

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I definitely have time and patience. Thanks for the suggestion to cover part of the cage. Ill definitely try that!

Time. And patience. If you have both, you will be rewarded.

Guinea pigs are hardwired to be fearful animals. EVERYTHING wants to eat them. The more time you spend with them, the more they get used to you, the more yummy treats you offer, the better it will get.

Try covering part of their cage. Not just a hidey, but perhaps cover the back half of their cage with a blanket. They're afraid of the house eagles that they're SURE are circling overhead, looking for lunch.

Derby

Cavy Gazer
And catch them and turn them over and compare their private parts to make SURE they're both the same sex. We've had many a pregnant "male" on this forum. And many a sow impregnated by her "sister."

Thanks!! I went one better and had exams with my exotic veterinarian so we're good to go! (p.s. you can't NOT tell on the skinny pig....how he drags those things around is beyond me lol)

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Another suggestion, make sure you have more than one hidey and that they all have two entrances so one pig can't get cornered by the other. You may even want hay piles in 2 different places. The reason I mention this is your boys are at the age when they should be starting puberty. Even best buddies can get territorial and testy with each other. They will need safe hiding places where one can't see the other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.