Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Poo on feet - new fleecer!

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Ok So I switched to fleece on sunday, and have picked it up and shaken it to get all the poo off every evening, but Dylan had some poo ( quite a lot actually) stuck to his front paw when I got home from work today. The cage is huge approx 16 sq ft, and I only have two piggies - Does anyone else find this?
I suppose I could start doing it twice a day but I'd have to get up a little earlier, but of course that's a small price to pay for poo free piggies!
Oh and one more thing - how often does everybody completely change their fleece, to wash it?

Kriket

Cavy Slave
I do mine every 4 days, just because I'm a laundry nut.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
An easier alternative is to get a hand vac. I have one. All I have to do is vaccum up the poops and wood pellets that have gotten out of the litter box. It is much easier, and I only do it once a day, I have four pigs in a 2x6.

I wash my fleece about every 4-6 days.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly new at it too, I'm hoping to do it once a week, the first time I only used fleece and newspapers and that got smelly in about 3-4 days, so now I use puppy pads and I think every 7 days should be okay.

I washed my fleece for the first time and I had a huge problem with hair sticking to it though, I don't know how to get rid of it. I guess I should invest in a hand held vaccuum.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I spot clean every day usually and change the cage out every 5-6 days. I use mattress pads with fleece over the top for the main and mini levels and newspaper only in the hayloft which is changed every other day.

There are possibilities as to why your pig has fresh poo smashed on his foot. One is that he poo'd a nice fresh one and then stepped in it making it easily squishable. One time I was climbing in the cage to do spotcleaning on the lofts in my bare feet and I stepped on a very fresh poo and it squished to the bottom of my foot. I either wear shoes or slippers now so it doesn't happen again.

AuroraBorealis

Cavy Slave
Mine have poo on their feet occasionally too. I use vetbeds in my cage. I don't think there's anything we can do about this, right? All poo now stays on top of the fleece/vetbed, so there's a big chance they will step into it and it will stick.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I have fleece in my cage and five girls. I too have poo problems. They just poo where ever they feel like. I've started hand vacuuming in the morning before work while they're eating their morning veggies. It seems to be helping. Good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.