Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated My guinea pig's body has become unproportional??

guineaapigg

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig when I first got her was at a perfectly good size and weight, however I have realised her stomach has gotten bigger while the rest of her body hasn't. She has another girl in her cage so she can't be pregnant. I need help!

Attachments

719CAB03-8F14-4D0E-890E-82E3F63C9E9D.jpg 3EBC4612-2175-40D1-B722-140985814314.jpg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
How long have you had your guinea pigs and how old are they? Gestation is anywhere from 60 to 73 days.

guineaapigg

Cavy Slave
How long have you had your guinea pigs and how old are they? Gestation is anywhere from 60 to 73 days.
i've had this pair for around 6 months, and they're around 7 months. Do you think I can assume she's just gaining weight? We'll go to the vet just to be sure.

guineaapigg

Cavy Slave
Turn both pigs over and compare their private parts. I wouldn't be surprised if the other isn't female. And read https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...inea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she

That said, guinea pigs can have different body shapes, just like people do. Some are longer and skinnier, others shorter and fatter.

I tried to look, but they were so fidgety that I couldn't get a close look. The other "girl" in the cage had something poking out of her area though. Is that a sign that she's a male?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You absolutely cannot assume she's just gaining weight. If she's pregnant, she needs to be separated from the male immediately. Sows can get pregnant again within minutes of giving birth, whether a natural birth or a miscarriage. And back-to-back pregnancies are exceedingly hard on both the sows and the second litter of pups.

Pick them up, hold them firmly, turn them over on their backs, and look carefully. This is a two-ish pound pig, you're an adult-sized human. There's no "too fidgety" in this process. You may need someone to help -- you do one, they do the other, and you look at both at the same time. They'll look quite different, as the male should have sizeable testicles.

You can also compare to https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I tried to look, but they were so fidgety that I couldn't get a close look. The other "girl" in the cage had something poking out of her area though. Is that a sign that she's a male?

No, pay attention to what @bpatters just said and follow her instructions. And, as she says, "there's no such thing as too fidgety".

Piggy girl.jpg
Piggy girl (note the "Y" shape)

Piggy boy.jpg
Piggy boy (note the separate penis and the swelling of the testicles below the genitals)

Last edited:

guineaapigg

Cavy Slave
No, pay attention to what @bpatters just said and follow her instructions. And, as she says, "there's no such thing as too fidgety".

View attachment 87153
Piggy girl (note the "Y" shape)

View attachment 87154
Piggy boy (note the separate penis and the swelling of the testicles below the genitals)

thank you for the help, i have sexed them and unfortunately the other guinea pig was a male. I'm taking them to the vet to confirm the pregnancy :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to take her to the vet. I gave you a link with all the signs of pregnancy. What she needs is good quality hay and pellets and fresh veggies. And she needs the male out of the cage now, today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.