Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Every guinea pig owner needs to know!!!

Creativeguinea

Cavy Gazer
I wanted to inform all of you of the danger of buying Kaytee products. I know some of you probably know, but guinea pigs are strict vegetarians and can only have vegetables and occasional fruits. Kaytee products have seeds, and large amounts of alfalfa in their products! Seeds, yogurt, or anything sticky like honey in these treats can seriously hurt or kill your piggy! Also, uninformed guinea pig owners are putting guinea pigs in those plastic balls, which will cause severe spine damage and pain. The most heard of problem in our guinea pig community is owners only having one guinea pig! Having more than one is so important to the guinea pigs, that is illegal to only have one in Switzerland. Animal cruelty is what this is, and we as responsible guinea pig adorerers and spoilers and just general animal rights activists need to focus on informing all guinea pig owners about the importance of this problem. I think we all know how much we care about our pets, and we don’t want them to be hurt, right? I know I have a strong opinion, but this isn’t right. Guinea pigs are such amazing creatures, and they deserved to be treated that way.

Creativeguinea

Cavy Gazer
Of course, thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Creativeguinea, welcome to the forum.

Just as a suggestion, we probably have several thousand posts on those topics on this forum. You might want to read a little to see what's here.

Creativeguinea

Cavy Gazer
I know, I have used this website a lot before creating a profile. I just thought that the topics should be together so we can spread awareness about all of these pressing subjects.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You might want to read a little to see what's here.

Good advice for any Newbie! The archives of this Forum go back to at least 2005 and anyone can benefit from reading through previous posts. I know that I spent at least three days reading previous posts before I ever dared to post for myself. Very little about cavies is new to those of us who have been around for several years. Find some truly new research about the health and well-being of cavies and we'll all benefit from new information and be grateful to you for contributing to the common knowledge.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
There is a lot of good advice here and many experienced people who are always ready to answer questions.

I will comment on the Switzerland ordinance, which pops up from time to time. Switzerland does require guinea pigs, as well as other animals, to be kept in pairs or groups. The Swiss have a 182-page Animal Protection Ordinance that lists how animals should be kept.

However, Switzerland is not the animal-friendly country it seems to be since it is legal for people to eat dogs and cats there. They estimate as many as 200 people eat dogs and cats from time to time. Also, about 20,000 pets are reported missing every year. Kind of creepy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.