Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Can Guinea pigs chew on Amazon box's

• Thread starter SilverEclipse99
  • Start date

SilverEclipse99

Cavy Slave
I recently received a cardboard enclosure for my Guinea pigs. They ate it thoughly. So I was wondering if I could give them amazon boxes as well as I have a mountain of those. Can my Guinea pigs safely consume and chew on amazon with out any negative effects or is ut bad for them?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I never worried about mine nibbling cardboard, but they also never just outright ate it. I wouldn't give them a steady supply of it, but putting a box in occasionally shouldn't hurt.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My little cretins have all LOVED to destroy boxes, with the exception being Simon. Here are the guidelines I try to follow.

First, ALL traces of tape, glue, labels, ANYTHING like that MUST be removed. Your aim should be for cardboard and cardboard only.

Second, I do my best to find out if the ink used is vegetable based, or oil based. Veggie based is obviously better.

The glue can potentially cause problems for your guinea pigs digestive tract so it really does need to be removed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.