Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Skinnies

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have an abby who is turning 3 yo. I really want a skinny. I love the baby hippo look. I read they pee and poo more than haired. So I would keep her near Bella but in another cc cage I have. My concern is the days it's hot. I have a portable ac. I also have a ceiling fan. When it's real hot, all are on. It doesn't get cold per se but cool enough. The skinny cage would be on the floor (second floor of an apt building not ground floor). No other place to put it. Is covering part of the top and that side with fleece blankets good enough so no direct air would flow in. I'd be cognizant with a large thermometer that the air doesn't go below 65 F. TIA!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I would definitely try to integrate a new skinny with Bella if possible. I imagine they would both appreciate the opportunity to have a buddy!

I find it is true that they poop more than a haired guinea pig, but I wouldn't say it's a significant amount more. My skinny eats a fair amount more hay than many of my other pigs, so that would explain the extra pooping. I've heard that their metabolisms are faster, so that would explain it.

One thing I think is a necessity for a skinny pig is to have some kind of fleece snuggle sack or tunnel. Just something they can snuggle into if they are cold. My pigs are in a room with a window AC unit all summer as our central AC isn't the greatest on our top floor, so the room stays anywhere from 67-70. My skinny is nearly 2 and has been in this room since she was a baby. As long as she has something to snuggle in, she is happy. However I do find her out and about most of the day. She lives with Lunkaryas, and they are usually more interested in finding cozy places than her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.