Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Injury to eye?

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
So our little boy needed a friend and we don't have a lot of options down here to get guinea pigs so she got one at PetSmart.i know it's not ideal :( he's very friendly and seems otherwise healthy but I noticed after we got him home that he has this spot on his eye. Can someone tell me what this is? Should I bring him back to PetSmart (will they even get him vet care if I do?) Or I can call my Vet tomorrow and get him in.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks like it might be a hay poke, if I'm seeing things correctly. Do NOT take him back to PetSmart unless you want to risk not seeing him again. Their idea of veterinary care is a little different from what guinea pigs actually need.

Is your vet an exotic vet, by chance?

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it's classified an exotic where I was going to take the GPs.. I can ask I just know that I've taken my geckos there before, and that's where I was referred to get my boys fixed if I wanted to..

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
This might be a better photo?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If the white spot is what you're referring to, it does look like a hay poke. He's a cute little fella. Kinda reminds me of Spike from Gremlins. Yes, I'm old.

If your geckos go there it's likely an exotic vet. Just make sure they're cavy savvy as well, and not just a so called "small animal" vet. That means dog and cat.

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
Yes it is the white spot! I'm 30 so I totally get the Gremlins reference and it's hilarious you said that because I tried to get my daughter to name him Gremlin (because Spike it Stripe wasn't cool) she also wouldn't name the other boy Gizmo although he's brown and white like Gizmo too. Silly kids. Thank you I will call them tomorrow and confirm they are familiar with Cavvys and get him in for a check-up!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes it is the white spot! I'm 30 so I totally get the Gremlins reference and it's hilarious you said that because I tried to get my daughter to name him Gremlin (because Spike it Stripe wasn't cool) she also wouldn't name the other boy Gizmo although he's brown and white like Gizmo too. Silly kids. Thank you I will call them tomorrow and confirm they are familiar with Cavvys and get him in for a check-up!

Oh, I meant Stripe lol! It's been a very long time since I've seen Gremlins. Like, probably some time in the 1980s :(

Do let us know how you make out with him. If it is indeed a hay poke, he'll likely get some eyedrops and maybe antibiotics.

KellRam89

Cavy Slave
Forgot to update y'all!! He did get into the vet and they deemed it a "corneal ulcer" most likely from a ultercation with another boar. We have an ointment were doing twice a day for 10 days and back for a recheck if needed!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.