Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing I'm..not sure if its a girl.?

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
Hi!
We recently adopted a GP and the previous owner told us that it was a 2 years old female but upon closer examination we're in doubt about its gender?

I find the region inside the body around the genitalia itself to be pretty big, like it has a big bag or something inside? (I scoop my hand all around the area, see pic1)

I tried pressing above the...noticeable lump to reveal a penis but nothing came out, and some sort of white discharge manifested itself when I tried to "open up" the genitalia region to have a better look at it?
Also when doing so the "lump"(despise not having anything come out) seems to have a hole of some sort when I pulled the skin around it ?? (See pic2)

Pic1 ↓
P_20200704_175738.jpg

Pic2 ↓
P_20200704_180645.jpg

We have another younger GP around 3-4 months olds that we bought from a local pet store and we have to make this clear before we put them in the same cage ^^"
((yeah they're separated and we're doing the whole quarantine process don't worry guys))

Thanks in advance for your help!!:sad:

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's a male, you should be able to feel the penis bone if you put your finger crosswise his body, just above the genitalia. Push down and back and forth, and you should be able to feel the bone roll under your finger if there's one there.

Compare the pictures at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
I get the feeling that I feel something hard, kinda like a stick but no matter how much I rub, push, back and forth nothing comes out, seems to have a reaction but...I'm scared of hurting him/her :'(

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
Ok, so now I've looked up videos of cleaning of boar butts and...that awfully looks like our new piggy but when I tried cleaning it, a lot of liquid just came out, was that pee? (Don't worry I've been excessively gentle and delicate)

I'm so confused because no matter what I do I don't see his, hem, manlyhood come out :/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pushing back and forth won't do anything to extrude the penis -- that's just for feeling the bone in it.

To extrude the penis, put your thumb right at the top of the genitalia, and push down and toward the feet.

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
Ok, should I be concerned that is penis doesn't show no matter what??

It's clearly there, I can see it going down towards the exit but it never goes out? I wouldn't dare going harder than what I did, it wasn't much but I just could never go hard on the poor baby :'(

I filmed it so you can see..

https://youtu.be/0S_77R-M1nM

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
I'm concerned because everyone on the net seems to have no problem getting it out and it's like the exit is too small or I don't know?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your thumb is too far up. Put it just above the genital opening.

Camellia

Cavy Gazer
Ok, HE is all good haha thank you ^^"
I was very worried there could've been an accumulation of dirty stuff or something blocking it..

Well gotta have to get him sterilized, I don't want to get my young girl pregnant.!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Glad you got it figured out!

Just be sure to keep them separated for four weeks after his surgery. Also, be sure to find an exotic vet who's done GP neuters before. They're a little different from dog and cat neuters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.