Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Cause of wet poop?

kevstan062019

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs and I’ve noticed one or both of them have been having very wet poops like diarrhea. This started a couple of days ago and I haven’t been able to tell which one has been having this issue. I have seen them both have regular poops since I first noticed this, but I keep finding dried up spots of what looks like diarrhea in their cage. I feed them an unlimited supply of oxbow orchard grass hay, oxbow adult guinea pig pellets, and a handful or two of either spinach or a spring mix lettuce per day. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is I recently changed their pellets food. I have always fed them oxbow pellets but a little while back I had to buy a small bag of kaytee pellets as I couldn’t find their regular food and they needed more. I just switched them back to the oxbow pellets about a week ago so that’s why I feel like the pellets might be causing this. Should I continue to feed them the pellets and hope that they just need to get used to them again or could there be something else that might be causing this? They’ve never had this issue before so I’m not sure why they’re having it now. Any help would be great!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Diarrhea, or just soft poops? Diarrhea is full-on liquid, and is a much more dangerous situation than just soft/mushy poop.

The usual course of trying to diagnose poop problems is to take them off all veggies. But in your case, the pellets may also be contributing. Did things improve when you put them back on Oxbow pellets? If so, I'd throw out the Kaytee pellets, which are pretty much crap anyway, and stick to Oxbow or KMS Hayloft.

If nothing changed when you went back to Oxbow, then stop the veggies and see if things clear up. If so, add the veggies back one at a time, small amounts, 2-3 days between each new veggie. See if you can figure out which one is causing the problem. If there's no improvement with no veggies, then it's time to see an exotic vet. They'll probably treat both.

kevstan062019

Cavy Slave
Thanks for you’re tips! I took all veggies out of their diet and that seemed to fix the issue. I’ve been reintroducing them slowly and so far so good!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.